From the Office of the Commonwealth’s Attorney. Please see our Media Releases page at louisvilleprosecutor.com/media-releases for more details and archives.
OFFICE OF THE COMMONWEALTH’S ATTORNEY
COMMONWEALTH OF KENTUCKY
30th JUDICIAL CIRCUIT
THOMAS B. WINE, COMMONWEALTH’S ATTORNEY
Media Release: October 15 – 19, 2018
Attention: Assignment Editor
Director of Communications: Jeff Cooke
Office: (502) 595-2340 Ext. 3027
Cell / Text: (502) 262-5809
NOTE: These represent only a few of the many cases which the Office of Jefferson County Commonwealth’s Attorney is handling. If you have any comments, or need further information concerning these or any other matters please do not hesitate to call. An indictment is only an accusation. A defendant is presumed innocent until or unless found guilty. The enclosed court actions are subject to change.
According to the Rules of Criminal Procedure (RCr 3.02, 3.05, and 8.01), the arraignment of individuals whose case has been submitted directly to the grand jury shall take place within a reasonable time after the return of an indictment. If you are interested in a case that has been submitted directly to the grand jury, then please contact the court division in which it has been assigned to obtain the time and date of the arraignment.
Justin Curry – 17CR2410 (Murder, Possession of a Handgun by a Convicted Felon, & Persistent Felony Offender in the Second Degree)
- Mr. Curry (DOB 01/25/88) is charged with the August 5, 2017 shooting of James Harris while Mr. Curry was out on bond on the Home Incarceration Program (HIP). Mr. Harris died as a result of his injuries. Mr. Harris had been allowing Mr. Curry to do HIP at his home and Mr. Curry asked an acquaintance to bring him a handgun earlier that day. A Pretrial Conference is scheduled for October 15, 2018 at 8:30 a.m. in Division 3 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Emily Lantz is the prosecutor.
Jeremiah Carter – 18CR0092 (Murder)
- Mr. Carter (DOB 07/05/01) is charged with the October 9, 2017, killing of Kontar Robinson in front of 858 S. 23rd Street, where Mr. Carter was on Home Incarceration. After the shooting, Mr. Carter fled. Mr. Carter later pled guilty for the Parade Day assault for which he was on Home Incarceration at the time and is currently serving a fifteen year sentence on those charges. A pretrial conference for the murder case is scheduled for October 18 at 10:30 in Division 5 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Elizabeth Jones Brown is the prosecutor.
Mr. Robert Mitchell and Ms. Stephanie Smith – 17CR2122 & 17CR2554 (Unlawful Use of Electronic Means to Induce a Minor to Engage in Sexual Performance, Illegal Possession of a Controlled Substance in the First Degree – Methamphetamine, Endangering the Welfare of a Minor [2 counts])
- Mr. Mitchell (DOB 10/13/73) and Ms. Smith (07/22/86) are charged with encouraging a minor to engage in a sexual performance. The two posted an ad to Craigslist in search of a young girl to perform sexual activities. An undercover agent responded and set up a meeting. When the defendants arrived to the meeting, they had their two minor children inside their vehicle and were in possession of methamphetamine and other drug paraphernalia. A pretrial conference is scheduled for October 17, 2018 at 10:30 a.m. in Division 4 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Madison Shoffner is the prosecutor
Travon Curry and Thaddius Thomas – 18CR0059 (Murder, Robbery in the First Degree, Receiving Stolen Property over $10,000, Wanton Endangerment in the First Degree, Tampering with Physical Evidence [Thomas], Possession of a Handgun by a Minor)
- Mr. Curry (DOB 12/03/01) and Mr. Thomas (DOB 11/17/01) are charged with robbing and killing Jason Spencer and placing his wife, Andrea Spencer, in danger of death or serious physical injury on November 5, 2017 in the 1200 block of Everett Avenue. Both defendants exited the vehicle and shot at the victims. They were 15 years old at the time of the incident. The other two co-defendants, who stayed in the vehicle, were 13 and 15 years old at the time and have already pled guilty to their charges. A pretrial conference is scheduled for October 15, 2018 at 9:30 a.m. in Division 6 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Emily Lantz is the prosecutor.
Bradley Hanlon – 15CR3173 (Murder)
- Mr. Hanlon (DOB 09/05/84) is charged with the murder of 21 month-old H.F. The defendant is the live-in boyfriend of the victim’s mother. H.F. was taken to the hospital on September 25, 2015 and ultimately died of injuries consistent with abusive head trauma, physical abuse, and medical neglect. H.F. was in the exclusive custody of Mr. Hanlon in the hours leading to her injuries and ultimate death. A Jury Trial is ongoing in Division 13 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Chris Foster and Dani Yannelli are the prosecutors.