OFFICE OF THE COMMONWEALTH’S ATTORNEY
COMMONWEALTH OF KENTUCKY
30th JUDICIAL CIRCUIT
THOMAS B. WINE, COMMONWEALTH’S ATTORNEY
Media Release: August 12 – August 16, 2019
Attention: Assignment Editor
Director of Communications: Jeff Cooke
Office: (502) 595-2340 Ext. 3027
Cell / Text: (502) 262-5809
NOTE: These represent only a few of the many cases which the Office of Jefferson County Commonwealth’s Attorney is handling. If you have any comments, or need further information concerning these or any other matters please do not hesitate to call. An indictment is only an accusation. A defendant is presumed innocent until or unless found guilty. The enclosed court actions are subject to change.
According to the Rules of Criminal Procedure (RCr 3.02, 3.05, and 8.01), the arraignment of individuals whose case has been submitted directly to the grand jury shall take place within a reasonable time after the return of an indictment. If you are interested in a case that has been submitted directly to the grand jury, then please contact the court division in which it has been assigned to obtain the time and date of the arraignment.
Shilo Joseph – 18CR3099 (Manslaughter in the Second Degree, Burglary in the First Degree)
- Mr. Joseph (DOB 12/21/81) was charged in connection with a home invasion that occurred on October 14, 2018. Mr. Joseph broke into his ex-girlfriend’s apartment located at 9614 Westport Road. Antonio Starks interrupted him while inside the apartment. During a brief physical altercation, Mr. Joseph stabbed the victim one time in the chest, causing his death. A Jury Trial concluded on August 8, 2019 in Division 8 of Jefferson Circuit Court. The Jury recommended a sentence of 20 years to serve in prison. Doug Meisel and Peter Lovett are the prosecutors.
Clifton Jones, Jr., Cedell Richardson, Jr., and Dashawn Garrison – 19CR2170 (Murder, Receiving Stolen Property over $10,000, Possession of a Handgun by a Convicted Felon [Jones], Possession of a Handgun by a Minor (Subsequent Offender) [Richardson and Garrison], Receiving Stolen Firearm)
- Mr. Jones (DOB 10/26/04), Mr. Richardson (DOB 08/25/01), and Mr. Garrison (DOB 01/13/04) are charged in complicity for the murder of Tyrese Garvin on June 23, 2019. On that date, Mr. Garvin was walking away from University of Louisville Hospital after visiting his newborn twins. The defendants, who were driving in the area, saw Mr. Garvin and recognized him as a friend of someone with whom they had a conflict. They shot Mr. Garvin multiple times, resulting in his death. The defendants were indicted on August 7, 2019. They are scheduled for arraignment on August 12, 2019 at 1:30 p.m. in Division 9 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Emily Lantz and Milja Zgonjanin are the prosecutors.
Reco Smith – 19CR1724 (Murder, Assault in the First Degree [3 counts], Receiving Stolen Property over $10,000, Wanton Endangerment in the First Degree [2 counts], Fleeing or Evading Police in the First Degree [Motor Vehicle])
- On December 22, 2018, Mr. Smith (DOB 11/13/01) was operating a stolen vehicle containing four other occupants who ranged in age from 13 years old to 18 years old. Officers attempted to stop the vehicle while traveling southbound on I-65. Mr. Smith refused to yield and accelerated the vehicle. He continued to take evasive driving measures in an effort to flee from police until his actions resulted in two police vehicles crashing, causing serious physical injury to those officers. Mr. Smith continued driving and exited on to eastbound Fern Valley Road before crashing the vehicle in the 3300 block. One passenger, Ki’Anthony Tyus (13 years old) was declared deceased on scene as a result of injuries sustained from the crash. Another passenger suffered serious physical injury, and two others received minor injuries. A first pre-trial conference is scheduled for August 16, 2019 at 10:00 a.m. in Division 4 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Emily Lantz is the prosecutor.
James Mallory, Anthony L. Hogan Jr., and Cannon Pendegrass – 12CR1317 (Murder, Burglary in the First Degree)
- Mr. Mallory (DOB 09/05/82), Mr. Hogan, (DOB 06/16/93), and Mr. Pendegrass (DOB 12/14/89) are charged with the April 11, 2012 Murder of 15 year old Gregory Holt Jr. inside his home. Mr. Mallory’s case has been severed from his two co-defendants and will be tried individually. A hearing on various motions in Mr. Mallory’s case is scheduled for Monday, August 12, 2019 at 10:30 a.m. in Division 12 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Madison Shoffner and Elizabeth Jones Brown are the prosecutors.
Travon Curry and Thaddius Thomas – 18CR0059 (Murder, Robbery in the First Degree, Receiving Stolen Property over $10,000, Wanton Endangerment in the First Degree, Tampering with Physical Evidence [Thomas], Possession of a Handgun by a Minor)
- Mr. Curry (DOB 12/03/01) and Mr. Thomas (DOB 11/17/01) are charged with robbing and killing Jason Spencer and placing his wife, Andrea Ragsdale, in danger of death or serious physical injury on November 5, 2017 in the 1200 block of Everett Avenue. Both defendants exited the vehicle and shot at the victims. They were 15 years old at the time of the incident. A hearing is scheduled for August 13, 2019 at 8:30 a.m. in Division 6 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Emily Lantz and Scott Drabenstadt are the prosecutors.
Jean L. Dell – 18cr1783 (Wanton Endangerment in the First Degree, Assault in the Third Degree)
- Ms. Dell (DOB 11/03/86) is charged with assaulting a police officer. During a police encounter, Ms. Dell drove away, dragging the officer beside her vehicle. When police finally caught up with her, she resisted arrest and spit on another officer. A Jury Trial is scheduled to begin on Tuesday, August 13, 2019 at 10:00 a.m. in Division 7 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Doug Meisel is the prosecutor.