OFFICE OF THE COMMONWEALTH’S ATTORNEY
COMMONWEALTH OF KENTUCKY
30th JUDICIAL CIRCUIT
THOMAS B. WINE, COMMONWEALTH’S ATTORNEY
Media Release: October 29 – November 2, 2018
Attention: Assignment Editor
Director of Communications: Jeff Cooke
Office: (502) 595-2340 Ext. 3027
Cell / Text: (502) 262-5809
NOTE: These represent only a few of the many cases which the Office of Jefferson County Commonwealth’s Attorney is handling. If you have any comments, or need further information concerning these or any other matters please do not hesitate to call. An indictment is only an accusation. A defendant is presumed innocent until or unless found guilty. The enclosed court actions are subject to change.
According to the Rules of Criminal Procedure (RCr 3.02, 3.05, and 8.01), the arraignment of individuals whose case has been submitted directly to the grand jury shall take place within a reasonable time after the return of an indictment. If you are interested in a case that has been submitted directly to the grand jury, then please contact the court division in which it has been assigned to obtain the time and date of the arraignment.
Dewain Anthony Belt – 18CR3087 (Rape in the First Degree [3 Counts], Sodomy in the First Degree)
- Mr. Belt (DOB 10/09/62) has been indicted on three counts of Rape in the First Degree and one count of Sodomy in the First Degree. The offenses occurred on September 6, 2008, July 12, 2000 and May 26, 2000. The indictment involves offenses against three separate victims. The DNA results from the September 6, 2008 assault were obtained through testing as part of the DANY Sexual Assault Kit Backlog Elimination Grant Program. The defendant has been arraigned, and a pretrial conference is scheduled in this matter on November 16, 2018 at 10:30 a.m. in Division 5 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Kristi Gray is the prosecutor.
Michael Vernon Hayes – 13CR2996 (Murder, Robbery in the First Degree, Tampering with Physical Evidence)
- Mr. Vernon (DOB 12/31/80) is charged with the robbery and murder of Javon Dawson on November 3, 2013. A suppression hearing is scheduled for October 29, 2018 at 11:00 in in Division 3 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Elizabeth Jones Brown is the prosecutor.
Javontay Forrest – 18CR2649 (Murder, Tampering with Physical Evidence, Possession of a Handgun by a Minor)
- Mr. Forrest (DOB 01/08/02) is charged with the murder of Travon Yelder on July 31, 2018. The defendant, who is 16 years old, was reported to be irresponsibly handling a gun throughout the night. At the time of the incident, the victim was seated in front of the defendant playing a video game. The defendant pointed the handgun at the victim’s head and shot. A Pre-trial Conference is scheduled for October 31, 2018 at 10:00 a.m. in Division 3 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Emily Lantz is the prosecutor.
James Mallory, Anthony L. Hogan Jr., and Cannon Pendegrass – 12CR1317 (Murder, Burglary in the First Degree)
- Mr. Mallory (DOB 09/05/82), Mr. Hogan, (DOB 06/16/93), and Mr. Pendegrass (DOB 12/14/89) are charged with the April 11, 2012 Murder of 15 year old Gregory Holt Jr. inside his home. Mr. Mallory’s case has been severed from his two co-defendants and will be tried individually. A pretrial conference in Mr. Mallory’s case is scheduled for Wednesday, October 31, 2018 at 9:30 a.m. in Division 12 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Dorislee Gilbert and Madison Shoffner are the prosecutors.
Randall Paul Buford and Christopher Pinguely, 17CR2936 (Criminal Attempt Murder, Assault in the First Degree, Failure to Stop and Render Aid)
- Mr. Pinguely (DOB 07/06/92) is charged with four counts of attempted murder and four counts of Assault I, as well as one count of Failure to Stop and Render Aid, for a shooting incident on September 2, 2017, at Bardstown Road and Watterson Trail. He is scheduled for a pretrial conference on October 30th at 10:15 in Division Four. Mr. Buford (DOB 04/04/79) previously pled guilty to four counts of Facilitation to Assault in the First Degree and one count of Failure to Render Aid and was placed on Home Incarceration pending sentencing. He escaped from Home Incarceration the next day, giving rise to an escape charge and subsequent conviction in 18CR2771. He is scheduled for a sentencing on October 30th at 10:15 in Division Four, at which time the Commonwealth will ask the Court to impose a sentence of twelve years (an increase from the eight-year sentence the Commonwealth would have recommended had he complied with the regulations of the Home Incarceration Program). Elizabeth Jones Brown is the prosecutor.
Matthew Bullard – 17CR1116 (Murder)
- On January 10, 2018, Mr. Bullard (DOB 05/28/00) was sentenced as a juvenile to 20 years on the charge of Murder for the November 10, 2016 shooting death of Le Truong in the area of W. Tenny Avenue and S. Fifth Street. Mr. Truong was shot as he was walking down the street with a friend, who Mr. Bullard mistakenly believed was an individual he had been previously arguing with. Mr. Bullard was 16 years old at the time of the incident and the victim was 15 years old. The defendant is being sentenced as an adult on November 1, 2018 at 8:30 a.m. in Division 3 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Emily Lantz is the prosecutor.