From the Office of the Commonwealth’s Attorney. Please see our Media Releases page at louisvilleprosecutor.com/media-releases for more details and archives.
PDF download of this document
OFFICE OF THE COMMONWEALTH’S ATTORNEY
COMMONWEALTH OF KENTUCKY
30th JUDICIAL CIRCUIT
THOMAS B. WINE, COMMONWEALTH’S ATTORNEY
Media Release: August 20 – August 31, 2018
Attention: Assignment Editor
Director of Communications: Jeff Cooke
Office: (502) 595-2340 Ext. 3027
Cell / Text: (502) 262-5809
NOTE: These represent only a few of the many cases which the Office of Jefferson County Commonwealth’s Attorney is handling. If you have any comments, or need further information concerning these or any other matters please do not hesitate to call. An indictment is only an accusation. A defendant is presumed innocent until or unless found guilty. The enclosed court actions are subject to change.
According to the Rules of Criminal Procedure (RCr 3.02, 3.05, and 8.01), the arraignment of individuals whose case has been submitted directly to the grand jury shall take place within a reasonable time after the return of an indictment. If you are interested in a case that has been submitted directly to the grand jury, then please contact the court division in which it has been assigned to obtain the time and date of the arraignment.
Frank N. Britt Jr. – 17CR0204 (Assault in the Second Degree, Sexual Abuse in the Third Degree)
- Mr. Britt (DOB 01/14/91) was charged with the assault and sexual abuse of his former girlfriend. In the course of the assault, the defendant strangled his victim, stabbed her in the neck, and groped her breast. A jury trial began on August 6, 2018 and the jury convicted him of the above charges on August 10, 2018. The jury recommended a sentence of 9 years in prison. Final Sentencing is scheduled for October 5, 2018 at 9:30 a.m. in Division 6 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Sheri Wornall is the prosecutor.
Marquice C. Hamilton and Brian A. Hutchings – 16CR0930 (Murder [Two Counts], Robbery in the First Degree, Tampering with Physical Evidence)
- Mr. Hamilton (DOB 06/15/97) and Mr. Hutchings (DOB 05/21/97) are charged with shooting and killing Jermaine Simmons and Kamal Lawson on March 31, 2016. A jury trial was scheduled to begin on August 13, 2018 but the defendants entered a guilty plea just before the trial began. In exchange for their plea to the above counts, the defendants each were sentenced to 30 years in prison. Mark Baker and Joshua F. Waldrop are the prosecutors.
Brandon Carson, 18CR2380 (Assault in the First Degree, Wanton Endangerment in the First Degree [5 Counts], Unlawful Imprisonment in the First Degree [3 Counts], Assault in the Third Degree)
- Mr. Carson (DOB 06/16/84) is charged in connection with the June 25, 2018, shooting of Ms. Klair Silver at 1820 Neville Drive in Shively, Kentucky. Mr. Carson is scheduled to be arraigned on Monday, August 20, 2018, at 11:30am in Division 7 of the Jefferson Circuit Court. Ryan Olberding is the prosecutor.
Justin Curry – 17CR2410 (Murder, Possession of a Handgun by a Convicted Felon, & Persistent Felony Offender in the Second Degree)
- Mr. Curry (DOB 1/25/88) is charged with the August 5, 2017 shooting of James Harris while Mr. Curry was out on bond on the Home Incarceration Program (HIP). Mr. Harris died as a result of his injuries. A Pretrial Conference is scheduled for August 24, 2018 at 9:00 a.m. in Division 3 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Emily Lantz is the prosecutor.
Chad Erdley – 17CR1791 (Murder [Two counts], Assault I [Two counts], Wanton Endangerment I [Eleven counts], Criminal Mischief I [Two counts], Operating a Motor Vehicle Under the Influence of Intoxicants – First Offense (aggravating circumstances))
- Mr. Erdley (DOB 07/05/73) is charged in connection to a collision that occurred on January 29, 2017, resulting in fatal injuries to two pedestrians. A pretrial conference is scheduled for August 24, 2018 at 8:30 a.m. in Division 8 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Milja Zgonjanin is the prosecutor.
Jasmine Wade– 16CR0127 (Murder, Tampering with Physical Evidence, and Abuse of a Corpse)
- On July 22, 2015, Ms. Wade (DOB 01/04/00) gave a live birth to a baby girl. The Defendant smothered the victim shortly after her birth causing her death. The Defendant removed the corpse from the crime scene and hid the corpse in her purse. A pre-trial conference is scheduled to be held on Monday, August 20, 2018 at 10:00 a.m. in Division 11 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Madison Shoffner is the prosecutor.
Hugh T. Bell III and Reginald Burns, Jr. – 18CR2068 (Murder, Assault in the First Degree, Possession of a Handgun by a Convicted Felon [Bell], Receiving Stolen Firearm)
- Mr. Bell (DOB 06/20/95) and Mr. Burns (DOB 04/16/92) are charged with the shooting in the 600 block of S. 39th Street on April 26, 2018 that resulted in the death of Glenn Browning and the serious physical injury of a second victim. Just prior to the shooting, Mr. Burns willingly and knowingly provided the murder weapon to Mr. Bell for the purpose of shooting Mr. Browning. This handgun was recovered and found to be stolen from Elizabethtown. A first Pretrial Conference is scheduled for August 21, 2018 at 9:00 a.m. in Division 10 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Emily Lantz is the prosecutor.
Hugh T. Bell III and Shawn Watts, Jr. – 18CR1775 (Assault in the First Degree, Wanton Endangerment in the First Degree, Possession of a Handgun by a Convicted Felon, Tampering with Physical Evidence [Bell])
- Mr. Bell (DOB 06/20/95) and Mr. Watts (DOB 01/16/92) are charged with a shooting that occurred on May 29, 2018 in the 2600 block of Greenwood Avenue. Mr. Watts drove Mr. Bell to the location for the purpose of committing the shooting. Once there, Mr. Watts stopped his vehicle next to the victim. Mr. Bell, who was sitting in the passenger’s seat, shot at the victim multiple times, resulting in serious physical injury. Mr. Bell also shot into an occupied house, showing an extreme indifference to human life. Mr. Watts drove away immediately after the shooting and, when police went to stop the vehicle, Mr. Bell fled with the handgun used during the shooting. Both defendants are convicted felons. A first Pretrial Conference is scheduled for August 23, 2018 at 10:30 a.m. in Division 4 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Emily Lantz is the prosecutor.
James Mallory, Anthony L. Hogan Jr., and Cannon Pendegrass – 12CR1317 (Murder, Burglary in the First Degree)
- Mr. Mallory (DOB 09/05/82), Mr. Hogan, (DOB 06/16/93), and Mr. Pendegrass (DOB 12/14/89) are charged with the April 11, 2012 Murder of 15 year old Gregory Holt Jr. inside his home. Mr. Mallory’s case has been severed from his two co-defendants and will be tried individually. A hearing for pretrial motions in Mr. Mallory’s case is scheduled for August 20, 2018 at 10:30 a.m. in Division 12 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Dorislee Gilbert and Madison Shoffner are the prosecutors.
Guy Allen and Eugene Mitchell – 14CR0114 (Murder [Capital], Rape in the First Degree, Sodomy in the First Degree)
- Mr. Allen (DOB 09/13/77) and Mr. Mitchell (DOB 12/17/57) are charged with the sexual assault and murder of Sheila Devine that occurred on November 12, 2013. Jury selection is ongoing in advance of proof beginning in Division 2 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Kristi Gray and Critt Cunningham are the prosecutors.
Anthony D. Toney – 16CR2684 (Trafficking in a Controlled Substance in the First Degree Schedule I Heroin [Two Grams or More but less Than 10 Grams], Trafficking in a Controlled Substance in the First Degree Schedule II Cocaine [Four Grams or More], Trafficking in Marijuana Schedule I Hallucinogen [More than 8 Ounces but less than 5 Pounds] and Illegal Use or Possession of Drug Paraphernalia)
- Mr. Toney (DOB 01/21/77) is charged with trafficking in marijuana, cocaine, and heroine as well as illegally possessing drug paraphernalia. On October 3, 2016, detectives executed a search warrant on unit 213 at Public Storage and seized a large amount of Heroin, Cocaine, Marijuana, US Currency, assorted paraphernalia, and a loaded handgun. A Jury Trial is scheduled to begin on August 21, 2018 at 10:00 a.m. in Division 13 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Josh Porter and Elizabeth Jessee are the prosecutors.