From the Office of the Commonwealth’s Attorney. Please see our Media Releases page at louisvilleprosecutor.com/media-releases for more details and archives.
OFFICE OF THE COMMONWEALTH’S ATTORNEY
COMMONWEALTH OF KENTUCKY
30th JUDICIAL CIRCUIT
THOMAS B. WINE, COMMONWEALTH’S ATTORNEY
Media Release: May 14-May 18, 2018
Attention: Assignment Editor
Director of Communications: Jeff Cooke
Office: (502) 595-2340 Ext. 3027
Cell / Text: (502) 262-5809
NOTE: These represent only a few of the many cases which the Office of Jefferson County Commonwealth’s Attorney is handling. If you have any comments, or need further information concerning these or any other matters please do not hesitate to call. An indictment is only an accusation. A defendant is presumed innocent until or unless found guilty. The enclosed court actions are subject to change.
According to the Rules of Criminal Procedure (RCr 3.02, 3.05, and 8.01), the arraignment of individuals whose case has been submitted directly to the grand jury shall take place within a reasonable time after the return of an indictment. If you are interested in a case that has been submitted directly to the grand jury, then please contact the court division in which it has been assigned to obtain the time and date of the arraignment.
Michael A. Thornton – 15CR1981 (Wanton Endangerment in the First Degree [3 Counts], Assault in the Third Degree, Receiving Stolen Property Over $500, Fleeing or Evading Police in the First Degree, Criminal Mischief in the First Degree, Escape in the Second Degree, Theft By Failure to Make Required Disposition of Property Over $500, Tampering With a Prisoner Monitoring Device, Persistent Felony Offender in the First Degree)
- Mr. Thornton (DOB 09/04/98) was charged with escaping HIP in March 2015. When officers found the defendant he was driving a stolen vehicle, tried to run over HIP Officer John Hagan, fled from police, and crashed the vehicle he was driving into two police cruisers. A Jury Trial began on Tuesday, May 8, 2018, and the defendant was found guilty of the above charges. The Jury recommended a sentence of 18 years in prison. Final Sentencing has been scheduled for July 11, 2018 at 9:15 a.m. in Division 11 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Jennifer Murzyn Yancey and Peter Lovett are the prosecutors.
Leon Franklin Montgomery, III – 16CR0823 (Manslaughter in the First Degree, Criminal Abuse in the First Degree and Persistent Felony Offender II)
- Mr. Montgomery (DOB 11/06/91) was charged in connection with the March 14, 2016 death of a five month old infant who had sustained fatal head injuries while in the care of the defendant and defendant’s girlfriend and infant’s mother, Brittney Ballard. Ballard has also been charged in connection with this death. A Jury Trial began on Tuesday, May 8, 2018. The defendant was found guilty of the above charges. The Jury recommended a sentence of 30 years in prison. Final Sentencing is scheduled for July 10, 2018 at 8:30 a.m. in Division 7 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Chris Foster and Sheri Wornall are the prosecutors.
Brandon A. Johnson – 18CR1385 (Murder, Possession of a Handgun by a Convicted Felon, Receiving Stolen Firearm, Tampering with Physical Evidence, Persistent Felony Offender in the First Degree)
- Mr. Johnson (DOB 11/08/90) was indicted in connection with the April 28th killing of Mr. Dwayne Sensley in the vicinity of the 1700 block of St. Louis Avenue. He was arraigned in Circuit Court Division 2 on May 8th, at which time his bond was set at $1,000,000. A pretrial conference is scheduled for June 15th at 9:45 a.m. in Division 2 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Kaleb Noblett is the prosecutor.
Keith Reeves – 17CR2575 (Illegal Possession of a Controlled Substance in the First Degree – Heroin)
- Mr. Reeves (DOB 03/28/88) was found to be in possession of Heroin after a traffic stop on December 5, 2016. A Jury Trial began on May 7, 2018 in Division 8 of Jefferson Circuit Court. The defendant was convicted of the above charge and was sentenced to 1 year in prison. Phil Bronson is the prosecutor.
Christopher Atwell, Robert Baucom Jr., Mark Cohron Sr., Lisa Cook, Nathan Garlinger, Timothy Guest, Robert Hardin Jr., Melvin Haycraft, Lonnie O’Niel, Kathy Woosley – 18CR1436 (Criminal Syndication: Engaging in Organized Crime (Complicity), Burglary in the Second Degree, Burglary in the Third Degree, Theft by Unlawful Taking over $10,000, Theft by Unlawful Taking over $500, Receiving Stolen Property, Trafficking in a Controlled Substance Methamphetamine, Trafficking in a Controlled Substance – Heroin)
- Mr. Atwell (DOB 04/04/86), Mr. Baucom (DOB 05/25/73), Mr. Cohron (DOB 08/30/68), Ms. Cook (DOB 02/18/88), Mr. Garlinger (DOB 03/29/73), Mr. Guest (DOB 05/01/84), Mr. Hardin (DOB 04/23/75), Mr. Haycraft (DOB 10/21/63), Mr. O’Niel (DOB 04/13/85), and Ms. Woosley (03/05/72) are charged as being part of an ongoing operation to steal and burglarize in exchange for Heroin and Methamphetamine. Between October 2017 and March 2018 these individuals unlawfully took property from victims across a large swath of the metro area. The stolen goods would then be traded for narcotics, sold as scrap for cash, or stashed at one of three locations where narcotics were trafficked. They are scheduled for Arraignment on May 14, 2018 at 3:30 p.m. in Division 13 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Joshua F. Waldrop is the prosecutor.
Jasmine Wade– 16CR0127 (Murder, Tampering with Physical Evidence, and Abuse of a Corpse)
- On July 22, 2015, Ms. Wade (DOB 01/04/00) gave a live birth to a baby girl. The Defendant smothered the victim shortly after her birth causing her death. The Defendant removed the corpse from the crime scene and hid the corpse in her purse. A pre-trial conference is scheduled to be held on Tuesday, May 15, 2017 at 9:45 a.m. in Division 11 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Madison Shoffner is the prosecutor.
Shaun Allen Jecker – 16CR2662 (Assault in the Second Degree)
- Mr. Jecker (DOB 06/06/80) has been convicted of a July 20, 2016, assault on a victim where the defendant brandished a knife and cut the victim causing her to sustain a severe laceration to her bicep and a laceration to her forehead. The victim was transported by EMS to the University of Louisville Hospital. The victim sustained permanent nerve damage to her arm. A Jury Trial began on January 30, 2018. On February 6, 2018, the defendant was found guilty of Assault in the Second Degree and the jury recommended a sentence of 6 ½ years in prison. Final Sentencing is scheduled for Thursday, May 17, 2018 at 9:30 a.m. in Division 6 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Danielle Yannelli is the prosecutor.
Timothy Robert Boden and Seandra L. Robertson – 17CR0234 (Trafficking in a Controlled Substance in the First Degree – Cocaine)
- Mr. Boden (DOB 03/08/82) and Mr. Robertson (DOB 07/29/72) were charged after officers observed a drug transaction on July 22, 2016. Officers observed Mr. Boden receive money from another individual in the parking lot before entering Mr. Robertson’s apartment. Mr. Boden exited the apartment approximately 3 minutes later. When he returned to the parking lot, Mr. Boden then handed something to the other individual in the parking lot and both drove away separately. When police stopped Mr. Boden he was found to be in possession of cocaine and informed officers that he had purchased the drugs from Mr. Robertson. A Jury Trial is scheduled to begin on May 15, 2018 at 9:30 a.m. in Division 6 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Phil Bronson is the prosecutor.
Troy L. Cheatham – 17CR2000 (Robbery in the First Degree, Theft by Unlawful Taking over $500 but less than $10,000)
- Mr. Cheatham (DOB 11/18/95) is charged with a May 1, 2017, robbery outside of the University of Louisville Hospital. The defendant and victim were present for the purchase of an iPhone 7 Plus. While sitting in the defendant’s vehicle and inspecting the phone, the defendant produced a large caliber revolver and told the victim to get out of the vehicle and drove away with the victim’s phone. The Defendant was later arrested in Nelson County by Bardstown Police Department and the stolen phone was recovered from inside the defendant’s residence. A Jury Trial is scheduled to begin on May 15, 2018 at 10:00 a.m. in Division 13 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Doug Meisel is the prosecutor.