From the Office of the Commonwealth’s Attorney. Please see our Media Releases page at louisvilleprosecutor.com/media-releases for more details and archives.
OFFICE OF THE COMMONWEALTH’S ATTORNEY
COMMONWEALTH OF KENTUCKY
30th JUDICIAL CIRCUIT
THOMAS B. WINE, COMMONWEALTH’S ATTORNEY
Weekly Media Release: March 5 – March 9, 2018
Attention: Assignment Editor
Director of Communications: Jeff Cooke
Office: (502) 595-2340 Ext. 3027
Cell / Text: (502) 262-5809
NOTE: These represent only a few of the many cases which the Office of Jefferson County Commonwealth’s Attorney is handling. If you have any comments, or need further information concerning these or any other matters please do not hesitate to call. An indictment is only an accusation. A defendant is presumed innocent until or unless found guilty. The enclosed court actions are subject to change.
According to the Rules of Criminal Procedure (RCr 3.02, 3.05, and 8.01), the arraignment of individuals whose case has been submitted directly to the grand jury shall take place within a reasonable time after the return of an indictment. If you are interested in a case that has been submitted directly to the grand jury, then please contact the court division in which it has been assigned to obtain the time and date of the arraignment.
Mark Murray – 15CR2155 (Murder, Tampering with Physical Evidence, Persistent Felony Offender in the First Degree)
- Mr. Murray (DOB 02/25/69) was charged with the August 3, 2015 murder of Loren Kerns. Mr. Kerns was brutally beaten to death and tortured inside Mr. Murray’s home. A jury trial began on February 26, 2018. On March 1, 2018, the jury returned a verdict finding Mr. Murray guilty of all charges and recommended a sentence of Life in Prison plus 5 years. Final sentencing is scheduled for April 27, 2018 at 8:30 a.m. in Division 9 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Scott Drabenstadt and Sheri Wornall are the prosecutors.
Anthony Wade Ball and Mack L. Matthews – 15CR3365 (Criminal Attempt Murder, Robbery in the First Degree, and Possession of a Handgun by a Convicted Felon)
- Mr. Ball (DOB 03/01/67) and Mr. Matthews (03/10/86) were charged for the October 30, 2015 Robbery of a retail store located at 2517 Seventh Street Road. During the course of the Robbery, Mr. Ball shot a store employee and seriously injured him. A jury trial began on February 26, 2018 and the jury returned a verdict convicting Mr. Ball of Criminal Attempt Murder, Robbery in the First Degree, Possession of a Handgun by a Convicted Felon, and Persistent Felony Offender in the First Degree. Mr. Matthews was convicted of Robbery in the First Degree. On March 1, 2018, the Jury recommended a sentence of Life in Prison plus 70 years for Mr. Ball and 12 years in prison for Mr. Matthews. Final Sentencing is scheduled for April 24, 2018 at 1:00 p.m. in Division 8 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Justin Janes and Jessica E. Kingsley are the prosecutors.
James Edward Joiner III – 18CR0634 (Murder, Criminal Attempt Murder, Assault in the First Degree, Possession of a Handgun by a Convicted Felon, Trafficking in Marijuana More than 8 ounces but less than 5 pounds while in Possession of a Firearm, and Tampering with Physical Evidence)
- Mr. Joiner (DOB 11/11/93) is charged in connection with the shooting that occurred at Crown Liquors on February 18, 2018 resulting in the death of Mr. Michael Winters and caused serious physical injury to another victim. Mr. Joiner was arraigned on these charges on March 1, 2018 in Division 12 of Jefferson Circuit Court. A pre-trial conference is scheduled for April 6, 2018 at 9:30 a.m. Amanda Hernandez is the prosecutor.
Quenton Se’ville Hall – 17CR0361 (Murder)
- Mr. Hall (DOB 02/19/82) is charged with the shooting death of Mr. Fernandez Bowman that occurred on December 2, 2016 in the area of 25th and Burwell streets. A pretrial conference is scheduled for March 8, 2018 at 9:45 a.m. in Division 2 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Milja Zgonjanin is the prosecutor.
Quenton Se’ville Hall – 17CR0893 (Murder, Robbery I, Tampering With Physical Evidence)
- Mr. Hall (DOB 02/19/82) is charged with the robbery and death of Mr. Troy Todd that occurred on December 12, 2004 on Marret Avenue. A pretrial conference is scheduled for March 8, 2018 at 9:45 a.m. in Division 2 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Milja Zgonjanin is the prosecutor.
Brandon Kraatz – 16CR2809 (Murder)
- Mr. Kraatz (DOB 10/03/96) is charged with the October 10, 2016 murder of David House at Deal Master Food Mart, located at 6115 Blevins Gap Road. The defendant was arrested three days later and admitted to shooting Mr. House. The incident was captured on surveillance video. The defendant was convicted of Murder on January 9, 2018, and the jury recommended a sentence of 25 years. Final sentencing is scheduled for March 6, 2018 at 9:30 a.m. in Division 10 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Emily Lantz and Milja Zgonjanin are the prosecutors.
De’Vontez Grinter, 16CR0563 (Manslaughter in the First Degree)
- Mr. Grinter (DOB 3/28/96) was convicted of the October 24, 2015, shooting death of Kevin Deramus at 3400 Lynnview Drive. A trial began on November 27, 2017, in Division 2 of Jefferson Circuit Court, and the Defendant was found guilty of Manslaughter in the First Degree on November 30, 2017. The jury recommended a sentence of 10 years. Final sentencing is scheduled for Friday, March 9, 2018, at 10:30am in Division 2 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Ryan Olberding and Peter Lovett are the prosecutors.
Cedric Wells and Roy Stone – 14CR0782 (Murder [Both in complicity], Assault in the First Degree [Both in complicity], Wanton Endangerment in the First Degree [Both in complicity], Possession of a Handgun by a Convicted Felon [Wells])
- Mr. Wells (DOB 08/05/83) and Mr. Stone (DOB 10/12/92) are charged with the March 16, 2014, shooting death of Ashley Thomas which occurred on Esquire Alley near Indi’s restaurant. Following an evening of birthday celebration on a party bus, friction arose and escalated among the revelers, culminating in a drive-by shooting that left one young woman dead and another injured. A Jury Trial is scheduled to begin on Tuesday, March 6, 2018 at 10:00 a.m. in Division 11 of Jefferson County Circuit Court. Critt Cunningham and Emily Lantz are the prosecutors.