From the Office of the Commonwealth’s Attorney. Please see our Media Releases page at louisvilleprosecutor.com/media-releases for more details and archives.
OFFICE OF THE COMMONWEALTH’S ATTORNEY
COMMONWEALTH OF KENTUCKY
30th JUDICIAL CIRCUIT
THOMAS B. WINE, COMMONWEALTH’S ATTORNEY
Weekly Media Release: August 14, 2017 – August 18, 2017
Attention: Assignment Editor
Director of Communications: Jeff Cooke
Office: (502) 595-2340 Ext. 3027
Cell / Text: (502) 262-5809
NOTE: These represent only a few of the many cases which the Office of Jefferson County Commonwealth’s Attorney is handling. If you have any comments, or need further information concerning these or any other matters please do not hesitate to call. An indictment is only an accusation. A defendant is presumed innocent until or unless found guilty. The enclosed court actions are subject to change.
According to the Rules of Criminal Procedure (RCr 3.02, 3.05, and 8.01), the arraignment of individuals whose case has been submitted directly to the grand jury shall take place within a reasonable time after the return of an indictment. If you are interested in a case that has been submitted directly to the grand jury, then please contact the court division in which it has been assigned to obtain the time and date of the arraignment.
Christopher L. McCullum – 15CR0968 (Murder, Wanton Endangerment in the First Degree, Tampering with Physical Evidence)
- Mr. McCullum (DOB 02/21/72) was convicted of the February 21, 2015, shooting death of Mukhtar Ahmad on I-71. A trial began on August 1, 2017 in Division 7 of Jefferson Circuit Court and the defendant was found guilty of all charges on August 8, 2017. The jury recommended a sentence of 60 years. Final sentencing is scheduled for September 29, 2017 at 9:00 a.m. in Division 7 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Ryan Olberding and Doug Meisel are the prosecutors.
BJ Starlight- 16CR0035 (Escape in the Second Degree)
- Mr. Starlight (DOB 02/28/51) is charged with escaping custody on January 19, 2016, when he failed to return to CCC from a release and was located 8 days later in Madison County, Kentucky. Mr. Starlight has a lengthy criminal history including shooting a Kentucky State Police Officer in 1977 and leading police on a four county police chase in 2012. A pretrial conference is scheduled for Thursday, August 17, 2017 at 9:00 a.m. in Division 12 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Jennifer Murzyn Yancey is the prosecutor.
James N. Mallory – 12CR1317 (Murder [Capital], Burglary in the First Degree)
- Mr. Mallory (DOB 09/05/82) is charged with the April 11, 2012 Murder of 15 year old Gregory Holt. A final pretrial conference is scheduled for August 18, 2017 at 11:00 a.m. in Division 12 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Ryane Conroy is the prosecutor.
Chad Erdley – 17CR1791 (Murder [2 counts], Assault in the First Degree [2 counts], Wanton Endangerment in the First Degree [11 counts], Criminal Mischief I [2 counts], Operating a Motor Vehicle under the Influence of Intoxicants – First Offense (aggravating circumstances))
- Mr. Erdley (DOB 07/05/73) is charged in connection to a collision that occurred on January 29, 2017, resulting in fatal injuries to two pedestrians. A pretrial conference is scheduled for August 16, 2017 at 1:15 p.m. in Division 8 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Milja Zgonjanin is the prosecutor.
Bud Thomas Jenkins Jr. – 17CR1264 (Burglary in the Third Degree [11 Counts], Criminal Possession of a Forged Prescription, Attempt to Obtain Controlled Substance by Fraud or Deceit)
- Mr. Jenkins (DOB 02/13/65) is charged with a string of Burglaries occurring from November 17, 2016 to November 28, 2016. Often caught on store surveillance, Mr. Jenkins burglarized eight different businesses, hitting several businesses multiple times, using the same means of entry. A pretrial conference is scheduled for August 17, 2017 at 9:45 a.m. in Division 5 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Madison Shoffner is the prosecutor.
Kenneth Dwayne Willis – 16CR1934 (Murder, Possession of a Handgun by Convicted Felon, and Possession of a Controlled Substance in the First Degree [Heroin])
- Mr. Willis (DOB 09/10/64) is charged with the July 12, 2016, shooting death of Ashley Spriggs at 2323 West Muhammad Ali Boulevard. A pretrial conference is scheduled for Monday, August 14, 2017, at 9:00 a.m. in Division 6 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Jennifer Murzyn Yancey is the prosecutor.
Gerry Lawson – 13CR1816 (Murder, Arson in the Second Degree, Arson in the Third Degree, Wanton Endangerment in the First Degree, Tampering with Physical Evidence, Abuse of a Corpse, Cruelty to Animals)
- Mr. Lawson (DOB 09/30/59) was convicted on June 27, 2017 for the murder of Vernice Aniton which occurred on March 3, 2013. The jury fixed his sentence at 70 years for the charges of Murder, Arson in the Second Degree, Arson in the Third Degree, Wanton Endangerment in the First Degree, Tampering with Physical Evidence, Abuse of a Corpse, and Cruelty to Animals. Sentencing is scheduled for August 14, 2017 at 1:00 p.m in Division 2 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Shelly Alvey and Nathan Batey are the prosecutors.
Joshua L. Young – 16CR1338 (Murder, Wanton Endangerment in the First Degree, Tampering with Physical Evidence)
- Mr. Young (DOB 02/08/95) is charged with the shooting death of his landlord, Shane McCain on May 16, 2016. Mr. McCain went to the Defendant’s home to collect rent money when an argument ensued and the Defendant intentionally shot Mr. McCain multiple times. A jury trial is ongoing in Division 13 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Stacy Greive is the prosecutor.
Deontae D. Yarnell – 15CR2214 (Murder)
- Mr. Yarnell (DOB 07/23/93), is charged with the August 8, 2015, shooting death of Mr. Deandre Murphy near 5241 Halsey Court. A Trial is scheduled to begin on Monday, August 14, 2017, at 1:00 p.m. in Division 3 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Jennifer Murzyn Yancey is the prosecutor.