From the Office of the Commonwealth’s Attorney. Please see our Media Releases page at louisvilleprosecutor.com/media-releases for more details and archives.
OFFICE OF THE COMMONWEALTH’S ATTORNEY
COMMONWEALTH OF KENTUCKY
30th JUDICIAL CIRCUIT
THOMAS B. WINE, COMMONWEALTH’S ATTORNEY
Weekly Media Release: February 6, 2017 – February 10, 2017
Attention: Assignment Editor
Director of Communications: Jeff Cooke
Office: (502) 595-2340 Ext. 3027
Cell / Text: (502) 262-5809
NOTE: These represent only a few of the many cases which the Office of Jefferson County Commonwealth’s Attorney is handling. If you have any comments, or need further information concerning these or any other matters please do not hesitate to call. An indictment is only an accusation. A defendant is presumed innocent until or unless found guilty. The enclosed court actions are subject to change.
According to the Rules of Criminal Procedure (RCr 3.02, 3.05, and 8.01), the arraignment of individuals whose case has been submitted directly to the grand jury shall take place within a reasonable time after the return of an indictment. If you are interested in a case that has been submitted directly to the grand jury, then please contact the court division in which it has been assigned to obtain the time and date of the arraignment.
Catherine Stephens – 15CR1560 (Attempted Murder, Robbery in the First Degree)
- Ms. Stephens (DOB 02/11/62) pled guilty to the above charges on February 1, 2017in Division 1 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Ms. Stephens waived separate sentencing and was finally sentenced on that day to 15 years in prison. Justin Janes was the prosecutor.
Brice Jamar Rhodes and Jacorey Taylor–16CR1891, 16CR1893, 16CR2807 (Murder [Three Counts], Tampering with Physical Evidence, Abuse of a Corpse [Two Counts] [Rhodes Only], Receiving Stolen Property [Rhodes only])
- Mr. Rhodes (DOB 09/08/90) and Mr. Taylor (DOB 06/20/98) are charged with the May 4, 2016, murder of Christopher Jones on the 800 block of 41st Street, and the May 22, 2016, murder of two children, sixteen-year-old Maurice Gordon and fourteen-year-old Larry Ordway, at 763 N. Hite Avenue. Mr. Rhodes is also charged with attempting to dispose of evidence related to this case and of attempting to burn the bodies of the victims, which were discovered in the rear of 4028 River Park Drive. In addition to these charges, Mr. Rhodes is also indicted in case number 16CR3045 on charges of Intimidating a Participant in the Legal Process and Terroristic Threatening in the Third Degree. A pre-trial conference is scheduled for February 7, 2017 at 10:30 a.m. in Division 4 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Elizabeth Jones Brown is the prosecutor.
Judy Hiser –15CR2266 (Facilitation of Rape in the First Degree [Seven Counts], Facilitation of Incest [Seven Counts], Facilitation of Sodomy in the First Degree [Four Counts], Facilitation of Unlawful Transaction with a Minor in the First Degree, and Facilitation of Use of a Minor in a Sexual Performance)
- Ms. Hiser (DOB 01/23/78) is charged in connection with child sex abuse involving Mr. Larry Wayne Lewis and Ms. Hiser’s minor children. A pre-trial conference is set for Monday, February 6, 2016 at 9:30 a.m. in Division 10 of the Jefferson Circuit Court. Nathan Ray Batey II is the prosecutor.
Kenneth Dwayne Willis – 16CR1934 (Murder, Possession of a Handgun by Convicted Felon, and Possession of a Controlled Substance in the First Degree [Heroin])
- Mr. Willis (DOB 09/10/64) is charged with the July 12, 2016, shooting death of Ashley Spriggs at 2323 West Muhammad Ali Boulevard. A pretrial conference is scheduled for Friday, February 10, 2017, at 9:15 a.m. in Division 6 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Jennifer Murzyn Yancey is the prosecutor.
Andre Banks- 14CR3053 (Assault in the First Degree, Wanton Endangerment in the First Degree, Unlawful Possession of a Weapon on School Property, Tampering with Physical Evidence, Possession of a Handgun by a Minor, and Carrying a Concealed Deadly Weapon)
- On March 20, 2015, Mr. Banks (DOB 12/16/97) entered a guilty plea to the above listed charges for bringing a handgun into Fern Creek High School on September 30, 2014, and shooting another student. Judge McDonald-Burkman sentenced the defendant to eighteen years in the custody of the Department of Juvenile Justice. The Commonwealth has filed a motion to revoke Mr. Banks’ probation, which is scheduled to be heard on February 9, 2017 at 9:00 a.m. in Division 12 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Elizabeth Jones Brown is the prosecutor.
Paul Badamo – 16CR2528 (Convicted Felon in Possession of a Handgun, Wanton Endangerment in the First Degree [7 Counts], Persistent Felony Offender in the Second Degree)
- Mr. Badamo (DOB 12/15/84) has been indicted for seven counts of Wanton Endangerment in the First Degree, Possession of a Handgun by Convicted Felon and Persistent Felony Offender, arising from a stand-off with police officers at his apartment on Falcon Crest Drive on September 19, 2016. The defense has requested a bond reduction, and a hearing on that request is scheduled for Friday, February 10, 2017 at 9:00 a.m. in Division 13 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Kristi Gray is the prosecutor.
Carlos Beauchamp – 14CR1561 (Murder, Possession of a Handgun by Convicted Felon)
- Mr. Beauchamp (DOB 05/12/81), is charged in connection with the June 3, 2014 shooting death of Keith Lane in the 1100 block of South 8th Street. A trial began on January 3, 2017, and midway through the defendant took a plea on the charge of Manslaughter in the First Degree. Sentencing is scheduled for Thursday, February 9, 2017, at 9:45am in Division 5 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Jennifer Murzyn Yancey is the prosecutor.
Marshall Fowler – 13CR3124 (Trafficking in a Controlled Substance in the First Degree – Heroin 2 Grams or More [with a Firearm], Trafficking in a Controlled Substance in the First Degree – Cocaine 4 Grams or More [with a Firearm], Trafficking in a Controlled Substance within 1000 Feet of a School [with a Firearm], Possession of a Controlled Substance in the First Degree – Methamphetamine [with a Firearm], In Possession of Drug Paraphernalia [with a Firearm], Trafficking in Marijuana less than 8 Ounces [with a Firearm])
- Mr. Fowler (DOB 02/13/80) is charged as the result of a May 16, 2013 search warrant of his home. After a long investigation and extensive surveillance of the defendant, LMPD detectives acquired and executed a search warrant on the defendant’s apartment. The detectives found over 65 grams of cocaine, almost 7 grams of heroin, marijuana, methamphetamine, a container of “cut”, and various pills. The defendant was stopped near his apartment and possessed a handgun and a digital scale. A jury trial is scheduled for Tuesday February 7, 2017 in Division 6 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Phil Bronson and Andrew Miller are the prosecutors.
Cherain Wells – 16CR1021 (Robbery in the First Degree, Assault in the First Degree, Failure to Stop and Render Aid)
- Mr. Wells (DOB 09/03/69) is charged with stealing items from the Family Dollar on Bank Street on December 5, 2015. In his flight from the store he used his car to hit an employee who was taking a photo of his license plate causing serious physical injury to her. A trial is scheduled to begin on Tuesday, February 7, 2017, at 9:30 a.m. in Division 6 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Jennifer Murzyn Yancey is the prosecutor.
Ricky Lewis Kelly, 14CR2146 (Murder)
- Mr. Kelly (DOB 11/18/70) is charged with killing Mr. Lajuante Jackson in August of 2005. A trial is scheduled to begin Friday, February 10, 2017, at 10:00 a.m. in Division 10 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Elizabeth Jones Brown and Justin Janes are the prosecutors.