From the Office of the Commonwealth’s Attorney. Please see our Media Releases page at louisvilleprosecutor.com/media-releases for more details and archives.
OFFICE OF THE COMMONWEALTH’S ATTORNEY
COMMONWEALTH OF KENTUCKY
30th JUDICIAL CIRCUIT
THOMAS B. WINE, COMMONWEALTH’S ATTORNEY
Weekly Media Release: February 13, 2017 – February 17, 2017
Attention: Assignment Editor
Director of Communications: Jeff Cooke
Office: (502) 595-2340 Ext. 3027
Cell / Text: (502) 262-5809
NOTE: These represent only a few of the many cases which the Office of Jefferson County Commonwealth’s Attorney is handling. If you have any comments, or need further information concerning these or any other matters please do not hesitate to call. An indictment is only an accusation. A defendant is presumed innocent until or unless found guilty. The enclosed court actions are subject to change.
According to the Rules of Criminal Procedure (RCr 3.02, 3.05, and 8.01), the arraignment of individuals whose case has been submitted directly to the grand jury shall take place within a reasonable time after the return of an indictment. If you are interested in a case that has been submitted directly to the grand jury, then please contact the court division in which it has been assigned to obtain the time and date of the arraignment.
Joseph Smithson – 15CR2024
- On February 9, 2017, Mr. Smithson (DOB 02/17/75) pled guilty to Manslaughter in the Second Degree in Division 3 of Jefferson Circuit Court. His charges were the result of a single vehicle crash that killed Ms. Brenda Jackson. Mr. Smithson, the driver of the vehicle, was found to be under the influence of methamphetamine while operating the vehicle at a high rate of speed, causing it to crash. The defendant is classified as a Persistent Felony Offender in the Second Degree, enhancing his final sentence to 20 years in prison.
Quenton Se’ville Hall – 17CR0361 (Murder)
- Mr. Hall (DOB 02/19/82) is charged with the shooting death of Mr. Fernandez Bowman that occurred on December 2, 2016 in the area of 25th and Burwell streets. Mr. Hall’s bond is currently set at $500,000 and is scheduled to be arraigned on Monday, February 13, 2017 at 9:00 a.m. in Division 2 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Milja Zgonjanin is the prosecutor.
Terrence Downs – 16CR3370 (Murder, Robbery in the First Degree, Possession of Handgun by Convicted Felon, Wanton Endangerment in the First Degree, Tampering with Physical Evidence)
- Mr. Downs (DOB 11/20/1992) has been indicted in relation to the shooting death of Ronnie Reed on December 10, 2016 in the 6000 block of Guardian Court. A pretrial conference is scheduled for Monday, February 13, 2017 at 9:00 a.m. in Division 10 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Kristi Gray is the prosecutor.
Robert Smith and Joseph Starling – 14CR1197 (Murder, Kidnapping, Criminal Syndication: Engaging In Organized Crime, Trafficking in a Controlled Substance I [3 counts](Smith), Possession of a Handgun by a Convicted Felon [2 counts](Smith), Tampering with Physical Evidence)
- Mr. Smith (DOB 02/04/65) and Mr. Starling (DOB 02/01/70) are charged with the October 24, 2013, kidnapping, beating, and shooting of Robert Holt. A pretrial conference is scheduled for February 15th at 9:15 in Division 11 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Frank Dahl and Ebert Haegele are the prosecutors.
Joshua S. Lee – 16CR1599 (Criminal Attempt Murder, Assault in the First Degree, Tampering with Physical Evidence)
- Lee (DOB 11/11/87) is charged in connection with an assault on April 21, 2016. Mr. Lee produced a knife and stabbed the victim repeatedly in the chest and face. The victim was taken to the hospital in critical condition with life threatening stab wounds. The victim and defendant were dating at the time of the incident. A pretrial conference is scheduled for Friday, February 17, 2017 at 8:45am in Division 9 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Courtney Straw is the prosecutor.
Michael Downey-15CR3360 (Sexual Abuse in the First Degree [3 Counts])
- Mr. Downey (DOB 02/21/76) is charged in relation to sexual abuse involving his fourteen year old step-son who is diagnosed with Asperger’s Syndrome. The Defendant would touch his step-son’s penis, having his step-son touch his penis, and masturbate in front of his step-son. A plea hearing was held on December 6, 2016 at 9:30 A.M. in Division 6 of Jefferson Circuit Court in which the Defendant entered into a guilty plea on all counts. The Commonwealth is recommending a one year sentence on each count to run concurrently for a total of one year to serve. The Defendant will be required to be a registered sex offender for his lifetime, complete the sex offender treatment program, and be monitored on a five year Post-Incarceration Supervision. Final Sentencing is scheduled for February 13, 2017 at 9:15 A.M. in Division 6 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Nathan Ray Batey II is the prosecutor.
James Carl Renn Sr. – 15CR1318 (Rape of a Female Over Twelve, Rape of a Child Under Twelve [4 Counts], Indecent or Immoral Practices with a Child Less than 15 Years of Age [6 Counts], and Incest [5 Counts])
- Mr. Renn (DOB 09/28/33) has been charged for offenses which occurred against his two daughters in the late 1960s and early 1970s. A jury trial is set to occur on Tuesday, February 14, 2017, at 9:00 a.m. in Division 1 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Nathan Ray Batey II is the prosecutor.