From the Office of the Commonwealth’s Attorney. Please see our Media Releases page at louisvilleprosecutor.com/media-releases for more details and archives.
OFFICE OF THE COMMONWEALTH’S ATTORNEY
COMMONWEALTH OF KENTUCKY
30th JUDICIAL CIRCUIT
THOMAS B. WINE, COMMONWEALTH’S ATTORNEY
Weekly Media Release: January 17, 2017 – January 20, 2017
Attention: Assignment Editor
Director of Communications: Jeff Cooke
Office: (502) 595-2340 Ext. 3027
Cell / Text: (502) 262-5809
NOTE: These represent only a few of the many cases which the Office of Jefferson County Commonwealth’s Attorney is handling. If you have any comments, or need further information concerning these or any other matters please do not hesitate to call. An indictment is only an accusation. A defendant is presumed innocent until or unless found guilty. The enclosed court actions are subject to change.
According to the Rules of Criminal Procedure (RCr 3.02, 3.05, and 8.01), the arraignment of individuals whose case has been submitted directly to the grand jury shall take place within a reasonable time after the return of an indictment. If you are interested in a case that has been submitted directly to the grand jury, then please contact the court division in which it has been assigned to obtain the time and date of the arraignment.
Jay Paul Moberly – 17CR0046 (Assault in the First Degree, Wanton Endangerment in the First Degree)
- Mr. Moberly (DOB 07/31/68) is charged with the shooting of a victim that occurred at 10400 Brookridge Village Boulevard. The defendant and the victim had been seeing the same woman. When the defendant saw the victim and his girlfriend inside their vehicle in a parking lot, he exited his own vehicle, armed with a handgun, and came toward the couple, firing his handgun several times and striking the victim once. Mr. Moberly is scheduled to be arraigned on these charges on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 at 11:00 a.m. in Division 6 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Ryan Olberding is the prosecutor.
Jordan Abney, Tyler Clooney, Jordan Polston – 17CR0056 (Burglary in the First Degree [Abney & Clooney Only], Robbery in the First Degree, Burglary in the First Degree, Wanton Endangerment [9 Counts], Theft by Unlawful Taking over $500 [Automobile -Abney & Clooney Only])
- Mr. Abney (DOB 05/28/98), Mr. Clooney (DOB 05/20/98), and Mr. Polston (DOB 09/24/92) are charged in relation to a home invasion that occurred on November 2, 2016. The subjects forced their way into the residence and struck one of the occupants with a gun. That victim was forced down to the ground and the subjects fired the gun into the residence and endangered the lives of nine people. The subjects removed property and fled the scene. Additionally, Mr. Abney and Mr. Clooney are charged with unlawfully entering a residence on October 25, 2016 and removing items from within, including several firearms and a 2008 Volkswagen Jetta. The defendants will be arraigned on these charges on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 at 11:00 a.m. in Division 6 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Milja Zgonjanin is the prosecutor.
Jasmine Wade– 16CR0127 (Murder, Tampering with Physical Evidence, and Abuse of a Corpse)
- On July 22, 2015, Ms. Wade (DOB 01/04/00) gave a live birth to a baby girl. The Defendant smothered the victim shortly after her birth causing her death. The Defendant removed the corpse from the crime scene and hid the corpse in her purse. A pre-trial conference is scheduled to be held on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 at 9:15 a.m. in Division 11 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Nathan Ray Batey II and Shelly Alvey are the prosecutors.
William E. McGaughy III – 16CR2743 (Murder; Assault in the First Degree; Criminal Mischief in the First Degree; Operating a Motor Vehicle under the Influence of Intoxicants [Second Offense])
- Mr. McGaughy (DOB 05/27/1956) is charged with the Murder of Ms. Regetta Board. Ms. Board was the passenger in a car driven by Mr. McGaughy on September 7, 2016. At approximately 5:05 a.m., Mr. McGaughy failed to stop at a stop sign at the intersection of South 27th Street and West Chestnut Street. The car driven by Mr. McGaughy collided with another car, leading to the hospital transfer of that driver, Mr. McGaughy, and Ms. Board before succumbing to her injuries. Results of a blood test indicate Mr. McGaughy’s blood alcohol content to be 0.217. A pre-trial conference is scheduled to be held on Tuesday January 17, 2017 at 10:00 a.m. in Division 4 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Nathan Ray Batey II is the prosecutor.
Ricky Lewis Kelly, 14CR2146 (Murder)
- Mr. Kelly (DOB 11/18/70) is charged with killing Mr. Lajuante Jackson in August of 2005. A hearing on Mr. Kelly’s motion to suppress a statement is scheduled for January 18, 2017, at 2:30 in Division 10 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Elizabeth Jones Brown is the prosecutor.
Barry Glenn Morris and Anu White – 14CR3257 (Murder, Robbery in the First Degree, Tampering with Physical Evidence)
- Mr. Morris (01/21/99) and Mr. White (07/27/96) are charged with the murder and robbery of taxicab driver Mr. Papa Thiam on November 17, 2014. Two other co-defendants, Mr. Lewis (DOB 05/31/98) and Mr. Lovings (DOB 09/09/97), previously entered guilty pleas to Facilitation to Murder and Facilitation to Robbery in the First Degree and agreed to testify. A trial is ongoing in Division 5 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Elizabeth Jones Brown and Justin Janes are the prosecutors.
Marcus Chapman – 11CR2604 (Criminal Attempt Murder [2 counts], Assault in the First Degree, Assault in the Second Degree, Tampering with Physical Evidence)
- Mr. Chapman (DOB 05/30/90) is charged with stabbing two juveniles in August of 2011. A trial is scheduled to begin on January 17, 2017, at 10:00 a.m. in Division 4 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Ryane Conroy is the prosecutor.
Melvin O’Bannon- 14CR3164 (Trafficking in a Controlled Substance with a Firearm [Heroin], Possession of a Handgun by a Convicted Felon, Possession of a Firearm by a Convicted Felon, Persistent Felony Offender in the First Degree)
- Mr. O’Bannon (DOB 07/09/92) was stopped by members of LMPD’s Mobile 9th Unit due to a failure to use a traffic signal. Upon approach, officers discovered that the defendant had a loaded rifle sitting between his legs. After a search was conducted, an additional pistol was located in the defendant’s pocket along with heroin and spice. A trial is scheduled to begin on Tuesday, January 17, 2017 at 9:30 a.m. in Division 9 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Andrew Miller is the prosecutor.