From the Office of the Commonwealth’s Attorney. Please see our Media Releases page at louisvilleprosecutor.com/media-releases for more details and archives.
OFFICE OF THE COMMONWEALTH’S ATTORNEY
COMMONWEALTH OF KENTUCKY
30th JUDICIAL CIRCUIT
THOMAS B. WINE, COMMONWEALTH’S ATTORNEY
Weekly Media Release: January 30, 2017 – February 3, 2017
Attention: Assignment Editor
Director of Communications: Jeff Cooke
Office: (502) 595-2340 Ext. 3027
Cell / Text: (502) 262-5809
NOTE: These represent only a few of the many cases which the Office of Jefferson County Commonwealth’s Attorney is handling. If you have any comments, or need further information concerning these or any other matters please do not hesitate to call. An indictment is only an accusation. A defendant is presumed innocent until or unless found guilty. The enclosed court actions are subject to change.
According to the Rules of Criminal Procedure (RCr 3.02, 3.05, and 8.01), the arraignment of individuals whose case has been submitted directly to the grand jury shall take place within a reasonable time after the return of an indictment. If you are interested in a case that has been submitted directly to the grand jury, then please contact the court division in which it has been assigned to obtain the time and date of the arraignment.
The Commonwealth’s Attorney’s office in partnership with LMPD participated in The Council for Strong America’s “Fight Crime: Invest in Kids” program for a Children’s Book drive that was held from January 11 – January 25th, 2017. Our joint partnership collected over 3000 new and gently used children’s books. These books were donated to Portland Elementary School, Maupin Elementary school and other early childhood education programs in JCPS. Mr. Wine and Chief Conrad read to kindergarten students to emphasize the links between reading proficiency, academic performance and crime prevention at our celebration on January 25, 2017.
James Lang – 12CR2977, 12CR3681 (Robbery in the First Degree, Persistent Felony Offender in the First Degree)
- Mr. Lang (DOB 09/17/52) was convicted by a jury of Robbery in the First Degree and Persistent Felony Offender in the First Degree on January 26, 2017. The charges arose from a robbery at PNC Bank on East Shelby Street that occurred on September 21, 2012. The jury recommended a sentence of thirty (30) years. Formal sentencing will take place on March 24, 2017 at 9:00 a.m. in Division 11. Kristi Gray and Mauricus Lofton were the prosecutors.
Emad Alzaire – 16CR1105 (Trafficking in Synthetic Drugs [Subsequent Offender], Acquiring Property from Income of Trafficking in a Controlled Substance)
- Mr. Alzaire (DOB 04/01/71) was charged with trafficking in over 30 pounds of synthetic marijuana. The defendant pled guilty on January 18, 2017 in Division 13 of Jefferson Circuit Court. In addition to forfeiting over $2,000 and a vehicle seized during the arrest, a notice of tax lien has been filed in an amount exceeding $3,000,000.00. Josh Porter is the prosecutor.
Jeffrey A. Stone – 17CR0240 (Unlawful Use of Electronic Means to Induce a Minor to Engage in Sexual or Other Prohibited Activities)
- Mr. Stone (DOB 05/11/1987) responded to an ad posted by an undercover investigator posing as a minor. Mr. Stone communicated through email and text with the undercover investigator. Mr. Stone arranged a time to meet the minor to engage in sexual activity. When Mr. Stone arrived at the set destination he was placed under arrest for unlawful use of electronic means to induce a minor to engage in sexual or other prohibited activities. Mr. Stone is scheduled to be arraigned on January 30, 2017 at 2:00 p.m. in Division 10 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Danielle Yannelli is the prosecutor.
Jasmine Wade– 16CR0127 (Murder, Tampering with Physical Evidence, Abuse of a Corpse)
- Ms. Wade (DOB 01/04/00) gave a live birth to a baby girl on July 22, 2015. The Defendant smothered the victim shortly after her birth causing her death. The Defendant removed the corpse from the crime scene and hid the corpse in her purse. On Thursday, February 2, 2017 at 9:30 A.M. in Division 11 of Jefferson Circuit Court, a pre-trial conference will be held. Nathan Ray Batey II and Shelly Alvey are the Prosecutors.
James Haymon – 15CR0968 (Theft by Deception Over $500 [2 Counts] and Theft by Failure to Make Required Disposition Over $500 [2 Counts])
- Mr. Haymon (DOB 04/09/1983) is charged in connection with the December 4, 2015, and February 10, 2016, theft of funds from two individuals by falsely representing that he was a property manager at an apartment complex and collecting cash from the individuals who wished to rent an apartment. A pre-trial conference is scheduled on Wednesday, February 1, 2017, at 9:45 a.m. in Division 13 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Ryan Olberding is the prosecutor.
Aron Ballard and Anthony Foster – 16CR1051 (Murder, Criminal Attempt Murder, Wanton Endangerment in the First Degree [6 Counts])
- Mr. Ballard (DOB 12/18/93) and Mr. Foster (DOB 09/30/90) are charged in complicity in relation to a shooting that occurred on April 2, 2016 at 2129 Bolling Avenue. The defendants fired multiple shots at Ms. Lottie Eicher and another victim, in an attempt to kill these individuals. As a result of the defendants’ actions, one victim was shot multiple times and suffered serious physical injury. Lottie Eicher was also shot and died as a result of her injuries. 2129 Bolling Avenue was occupied by six persons, who were all on the first floor of the house when the defendants were shooting. A Pretrial Conference is scheduled for Thursday, February 2, 2017 at 9:00 a.m. in Division 2 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Emily Lantz is the prosecutor.
Rishelle Atwood, Keynisha Butler, Antrell Malone, Frederick Malone and Whitney McLain- 16CR2586 (Criminal Syndication: Engaging In Organized Crime, Possession of a Handgun By a Convicted Felon [Butler only], Fraudulent Use Credit Card over $500 But Less Than $10,000 [20 counts], Theft By Unlawful Taking over $500 But less Than $10,000 [2 counts], Theft By Unlawful Taking Under $500 [22 counts], Fraudulent Use Credit Card under $500 [2 counts], Criminal Attempt Fraudulent Use Credit Card over $500 But less than $10,000, Persistent Felony Offender in the Second Degree [Butler] and Persistent Felony Offender In the First Degree [Antrell Malone and Fred Malone])
- Ms. Atwood (06/01/78), Ms. Butler (10/08/80), Mr. Antrell Malone (08/31/78), Mr. Frederick Malone (05/05/67) and Ms. McLain (09/09/92) are charged with offenses related to an ongoing scheme to commit thefts of wallets from the purses of female shoppers in local retail stores between the dates of December 10, 2015 and August 15, 2016. The plan and execution of these wallet thefts involved a member of the syndicate distracting female victims, many of whom were elderly, while another member of the syndicate stole the wallet. Immediately after committing the thefts, a member or members of the syndicate used the victims’ credit cards from the stolen wallets at local businesses to make fraudulent purchases. A pretrial conference is scheduled for January 30, 2017 at 9:45 a.m. in Division 11 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Stacy Greive is the prosecutor.
Evan Miles Curtis – 16CR2686 (Possession of Matter Portraying Sexual Performance by a Minor [20 counts])
- Mr. Curtis (DOB 03/12/1988) is charged with possessing numerous child pornography images and videos. A pretrial conference is scheduled January 31st at 9:15 in Division 2 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Courtney Straw is the prosecutor.
Myron O. Thomas – 16CR1359 (Assault in the Fourth Degree [Third or Subsequent Offense], Persistent Felony Offender in the First Degree)
- Mr. Thomas (DOB 08/11/1963) was arrested and charged with Assault in the Fourth Degree Domestic Violence for assaulting his wife on February 27, 2016. Mr. Thomas was previously arrested in 2014 and 2015 for Assault in the Fourth Degree Domestic Violence also against his wife. He previously plead guilty to both offenses. A bond hearing is scheduled for January 30, 2017 at 10:15 a.m. in Division 11 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Danielle Yannelli is the prosecutor.
Javion Smith – 15CR2730 and 16CR2780 (Burglary in the First Degree [5 counts], Burglary in the Second Degree [13 counts], Persistent Felony Offender in the First Degree.)
- Mr. Smith (DOB 09/14/1992) is charged with the burglary of sixteen Jefferson County residences between the dates of May 5, 2015 and August 17, 2015. A co-defendant involved in the burglaries, Devante Wollam, has already pled guilty to the crimes. Mr. Smith’s trial is scheduled to begin February 7, 2017. A hearing is scheduled on January 30, 2017 at 9:15 a.m. in Division 11 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Stacy Greive is the prosecutor.
Michael Downey-15CR3360 (Sexual Abuse in the First Degree [3 Counts])
- Mr. Downey (DOB 02/21/1976) is charged in relation to sexual abuse involving his fourteen year old step-son who is diagnosed with Asperger’s Syndrome. The Defendant would touch his step-son’s penis, have his step-son touch his penis, and masturbate in front of his step-son. A plea hearing was held on December 6, 2016 at 9:30 A.M. in Division 6 of Jefferson Circuit Court in which the Defendant entered into a guilty plea on all counts. The Commonwealth is recommending a one year sentence on each count to run concurrently for a total of one year to serve. The Defendant will be required to be a registered sex offender for his lifetime, complete the sex offender treatment program, and be monitored on a five year Post-Incarceration Supervision. Separate Sentencing is scheduled for February 1, 2017 at 9:00 a.m. in Division 6 of the Circuit Court. Nathan Ray Batey II is the prosecutor.
Lovelle Turner – 16CR1694 (Robbery in the Second Degree, Receiving Stolen Firearm, Tampering with Physical Evidence, Fleeing or Evading Police in the Second Degree, Criminal Trespass in the Third Degree)
- On December 15, 2016, Mr. Turner (DOB 08/10/97) pled guilty to multiple charges related to a robbery that occurred on April 16, 2016. On that date, the defendant stole a phone through the threat of force. When police attempted to stop him, he ran and threw several items from his pockets, including a stolen handgun. Sentencing is scheduled for Thursday, February 2, 2017 at 10:30 a.m. in Division 5 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Emily Lantz is the prosecutor.
Michael P. Steele – 15CR1402 (Assault in the First Degree, Robbery in the First Degree, Fleeing and Evading Police in the Second Degree, Illegal Use or Possession of Drug Paraphernalia, Giving a Peace Officer a False Name or Address, Persistent Felony Offender in the Second Degree)
- Mr. Steele (DOB 08/22/1987) is charged with the May 13, 2015, robbery and beating of an elderly victim in the vicinity of Queen Avenue and Taylor Boulevard. After taking money from the victim’s hand, the defendant attempted to run away. The victim quickly caught up with the defendant and asked for his money back. The defendant then struck the victim a number of times about the face and head, causing serious injuries. Police stopped the defendant as he was attempting to flee the scene; when they spoke with him, the defendant gave a false name to avoid being arrested on unrelated warrants. A jury trial is scheduled for Tuesday, January 31, 2017 at 10:30 a.m. in Division 3 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Kaleb Noblett is the prosecutor.