From the Office of the Commonwealth’s Attorney. Please see our Media Releases page at louisvilleprosecutor.com/media-releases for more details and archives.
OFFICE OF THE COMMONWEALTH’S ATTORNEY
COMMONWEALTH OF KENTUCKY
30th JUDICIAL CIRCUIT
THOMAS B. WINE, COMMONWEALTH’S ATTORNEY
Weekly Media Release: December 27, 2016 – January 6, 2017
Attention: Assignment Editor
Director of Communications: Jeff Cooke
Office: (502) 595-2340 Ext. 3027
Cell / Text: (502) 262-5809
NOTE: These represent only a few of the many cases which the Office of Jefferson County Commonwealth’s Attorney is handling. If you have any comments, or need further information concerning these or any other matters please do not hesitate to call. An indictment is only an accusation. A defendant is presumed innocent until or unless found guilty. The enclosed court actions are subject to change.
According to the Rules of Criminal Procedure (RCr 3.02, 3.05, and 8.01), the arraignment of individuals whose case has been submitted directly to the grand jury shall take place within a reasonable time after the return of an indictment. If you are interested in a case that has been submitted directly to the grand jury, then please contact the court division in which it has been assigned to obtain the time and date of the arraignment.
Samuel C. Vaught – 16CR3329 (Criminal Attempt Murder)
- Mr. Vaught (DOB 05/07/96) is charged with the attempted murder of his brother. On October 30, 2016, the defendant intentionally pointed and fired a weapon at his brother with the intent to cause his death. Although the victim did not die, the shot caused serious physical injury. In an interview with police, the defendant admitted to shooting his brother. Mr. Vaught is scheduled to be arraigned on this charge on December 27, 2016 at 9:00 a.m. in Division 4 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Mark Baker is the prosecutor.
Jayjuan Taylor – 16CR3339 (Murder, Tampering with Physical Evidence, Possession of a Handgun by a Minor)
- Mr. Taylor (DOB 01/21/00) is charged with the shooting death of Mr. Donald Wayne Hester. On October 19, 2016, the defendant found the victim trying to take his motorcycle. Demanding his motorcycle back, the defendant produced a handgun. The victim then lunged at the defendant and Mr. Taylor fired his gun, causing Mr. Hester’s death. The defendant then fled the scene and discarded the gun in an effort to prevent detectives from recovering it. A short time later, the defendant turned himself in to police and admitted to shooting Mr. Hester. Mr. Taylor is scheduled to be arraigned on this charge on December 27, 2016 at 9:00 a.m. in Division 4 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Justin Janes is the prosecutor.
Darrick Murphy – 16CR3341 (Robbery in the First Degree, Theft by Unlawful Taking over $10,000, Receiving Stolen Property over $10,000, Wanton Endangerment in the First Degree, and Fleeing or Evading Police in the Second Degree)
- Mr. Murphy (DOB 06/25/98) is charged with the theft of a vehicle while a child was still inside. On October 26, 2016, the victim reported that her vehicle had been stolen with her three year old grandson still inside. When officers arrived, the vehicle had been abandoned on Theresa Avenue. Mr. Murphy and his co-defendant were observed jumping the fence and running from the area around the abandoned vehicle. His co-defendant was detained and Mr. Murphy was located a short time later hiding in a dumpster. The defendant gave a statement admitting to getting into the car after it was stolen. Witnesses of the car theft stated that the car was driving through residential yards to get around another vehicle. Mr. Murphy is scheduled to be arraigned on this charge on December 27, 2016 at 9:00 a.m. in Division 4 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Jennifer Murzyn Yancey is the prosecutor.
BJ Starlight- 16CR0298, 16CR1358, and 16CR0035 (Theft by Unlawful Taking over $10,000 [Three Counts], Receiving Stolen Property over $10,000, Illegal Use or Possession of a Radio that Send/Receives Police Messages, Persistent Felony Offender in the First Degree, Escape in the Second Degree)
- Mr. Starlight (DOB 02/28/51) is charged with stealing or possessing stolen vehicles taken from car dealerships between March 4, 2015, and April 8, 2015. Mr. Starlight has a lengthy criminal history including shooting a Kentucky State Police Officer in 1977 and leading police on a four county police chase in 2012. He is also charged with escaping custody on January 19, 2016, when he failed to return to CCC from a release and was located 8 days later in Madison County, Kentucky. A pretrial conference regarding his charge of Escape in the Second Degree is scheduled for Thursday, January 5, 2017 at 9:30 a.m. in Division 12 of Jefferson Circuit Court. A pretrial conference for all other charges is scheduled for Thursday, January 5, 2017 at 9:00 a.m. in Division 3 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Jennifer Murzyn Yancey is the prosecutor.
Joshua Sauer – 16CR3220 (Assault in the First Degree)
- Mr. Sauer (DOB 12/18/77) is charged with assaulting a victim he met on a social media site. On November 18, 2016, the defendant and the victim were outside of a residence known to the defendant when an argument ensued. The defendant strangled the victim and struck her in the face and head several times with his fist. The victim suffered injuries to her face and head, bruising to her throat and ears, and petechia to her eyes, ears, and throat. Mr. Sauer’s bond is currently set at $50,000 full cash. A bond hearing is scheduled for January 3, 2016 at 8:30 a.m. in Division 7 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Milja Zgonjanin is the prosecutor.
Carlos Beauchamp, Jaquae Sanders, & Luretta Lynn Todd – 14CR1561 (Complicity to Murder [All Defendants], Possession of a Handgun by Convicted Felon [Beauchamp Only])
- Mr. Beauchamp (DOB 05/12/81), Mr. Sanders (DOB 09/21/93), and Ms. Todd (DOB 03/19/85) are charged in connection with the June 3, 2014 shooting death of Keith Lane in the 1100 block of South 8th Street. A trial is scheduled to begin Tuesday, January 3 at 1:30 p.m. in Division 5 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Jennifer Murzyn Yancey is the prosecutor.