From the Office of the Commonwealth’s Attorney. Please see our Media Releases page at louisvilleprosecutor.com/media-releases for more details and archives.
OFFICE OF THE COMMONWEALTH’S ATTORNEY
COMMONWEALTH OF KENTUCKY
30th JUDICIAL CIRCUIT
THOMAS B. WINE, COMMONWEALTH’S ATTORNEY
Weekly Media Release: December 12-December 23, 2016
Attention: Assignment Editor
Director of Communications: Jeff Cooke
Office: (502) 595-2340 Ext. 3027
Cell / Text: (502) 262-5809
NOTE: These represent only a few of the many cases which the Office of Jefferson County Commonwealth’s Attorney is handling. If you have any comments, or need further information concerning these or any other matters please do not hesitate to call. An indictment is only an accusation. A defendant is presumed innocent until or unless found guilty. The enclosed court actions are subject to change.
According to the Rules of Criminal Procedure (RCr 3.02, 3.05, and 8.01), the arraignment of individuals whose case has been submitted directly to the grand jury shall take place within a reasonable time after the return of an indictment. If you are interested in a case that has been submitted directly to the grand jury, then please contact the court division in which it has been assigned to obtain the time and date of the arraignment.
Michael Downey-15CR3360 (Sexual Abuse in the First Degree [3 Counts])
- Mr. Downey (DOB 02/21/1976) is charged in relation to sexual abuse involving his fourteen year old step-son who is diagnosed with Asperger’s Syndrome. The Defendant would touch his step-son’s penis, having his step-son touch his penis, and masturbate in front of his step-son. A plea hearing was held on December 06, 2016 at 9:30 a.m. in Division 6 of Jefferson Circuit Court in which the Defendant entered into a guilty plea on all counts. The Commonwealth is recommending a one year sentence on each count to run concurrently for a total of one year to serve. The Defendant will be required to be a registered sex offender for his lifetime, complete the sex offender treatment program, and be monitored on a five year Post-Incarceration Supervision Separate Sentencing was scheduled for February 1, 2017 at 9:00 a.m. in Division 6 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Nathan Ray Batey II is the prosecutor.
Justin Penick – 15CR1916 (Possession of a Handgun by a Convicted Felon)
- Mr. Penick (DOB 08/16/80) was found guilty of Possession of a Handgun by a Convicted Felon by jury trial on December 9, 2016 in Division 3 of Jefferson Circuit Court. The Defendant agreed to serve 6 years for this charge and was finally sentenced on that date. On May 8, 2015, officers responded to the 5700 block of Locust Way on a complaint of gunshots being fired. A witness directed officers to the area where the shots originated where they found the defendant standing at a table on a raised platform deck. He smelled of alcohol and denied knowing anything about the shots fired. Officers then located a long rifle style gun with laser and scope that was located next to a container of beer, a spent shell casing, and a bag of ammunition in front of where the defendant had been standing. Stephany Hunter is the prosecutor.
Samuel Barrett – 16CR0485 and 16CR2998 (Sexual Abuse in the First Degree [4 Counts], Unlawful Use of Electronic Means to Induce a Minor to Engage in Sexual or Other Prohibited Activities [2 Counts], Possession of Matter Portraying a Sexual Performance by a Minor [6 Counts], and Distribution of Obscene Matter to Minors)
- Mr. Barrett (DOB 10/16/88) is charged in relation to alleged conduct involving a student while Mr. Barrett was a teacher at Fern Creek High School. A plea hearing was held on December 05, 2016 at 9:30 A.M. in Division 8 of Jefferson Circuit Court in which the Defendant entered into a guilty plea on all counts. The Commonwealth is recommending a four year sentence on all felony counts to run concurrently for a total sentence of four years to serve. The Defendant will be required to be a registered sex offender for his lifetime, complete the sex offender treatment program, and be monitored on a five year Post-Incarceration Supervision. Separate Sentencing was scheduled for January 25, 2017 at 1:00 p.m. in Division 8 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Nathan Ray Batey II is the prosecutor.
Joshua Sauer – 16CR3220 (Assault in the First Degree)
- Mr. Sauer (DOB 12/18/77) is charged with the assault of a victim whom he met on a social media site. On November 18, 2016 an argument ensued and the defendant grabbed the victim by her throat and began to strangle her. Among the struggle, the defendant also hit the victim with his fist several times in her face and head. Mr. Sauer is scheduled to be arraigned on this charge on December 12, 2016 at 11:30 a.m. in Division 7 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Milja Zgonjanin and Kristi Gray are the prosecutors.
Corey Todd Hunt – 16CR3210 (Robbery in the First Degree)
- Mr. Hunt (DOB 11/10/90) is charged in connection with the robbery of the Circle K located at 1630 Arthur Street. The Defendant entered the store masked and armed with a knife and attempted to take money from the register. In fear of serious physical injury, an employee grabbed a baseball bat to defend herself and the defendant fled before obtaining any money. His vehicle and license plate number were captured on surveillance video. The Defendant was later interviewed by police and admitted to committing the robbery as well as a similar robbery of a KFC restaurant in Franklin County. Mr. Hunt is scheduled to be arraigned on this charge on December 12, 2016 at 3:00 p.m. in Division 12 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Ryane Conroy is the prosecutor.
Juan Carlos Ortega-Santos – 16CR1777 (Murder [2 Counts], Wanton Endangerment in the First Degree [2 Counts], Operating a Motor Vehicle Under the Influence of Intoxicants, Operating a Motor Vehicle Without an Operator’s License, No Motor Vehicle Insurance)
- Mr. Ortega-Santos (DOB 06/20/1990) has been indicted in relation to a collision that occurred on June 21, 2016 in the 9300 block of Taylorsville Road which resulted in the death of two children. A pretrial conference is scheduled for Friday, December 16, 2016 at 10:30 a.m.in Division 1. Kristi Gray is the prosecutor.
Kenneth Dwayne Willis – 16CR1934 (Murder, Possession of a Handgun by Convicted Felon, and Possession of a Controlled Substance in the First Degree [Heroin])
- Mr. Willis (DOB 09/10/64) is charged with the July 12, 2016, shooting death of Ashley Spriggs at 2323 West Muhammad Ali Boulevard. A pretrial conference is scheduled for Monday, December 19, 2016, at 9:30 a.m. in Division 6 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Jennifer Murzyn Yancey is the prosecutor.
Isaiah Hayes and Destiny Rhodes- 16CR2025 (Robbery in the First Degree [9 counts])
- Mr. Hayes (DOB 11/19/93) and Ms. Rhodes (DOB 06/05/96) are charged with committing multiple business robberies between June 26, 2016, and July 22, 2016, at Walgreens Stores throughout Jefferson County. A suppression hearing is scheduled for Monday, December 12, 2016 at 10:30 a.m. in Division 3 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Jennifer Murzyn Yancey is the prosecutor.
Michael A. Thornton – 15CR2660 (Burglary in the Second Degree [2 Counts], Wanton Endangerment in the First Degree [2 Counts], Assault in the Third Degree, Theft By Unlawful Taking Over $500 [2 Counts], Receiving Stolen Property Over $500 [3 Counts], Fleeing or Evading Police in the First Degree [3 Counts], Obscuring the Identity of a Machine Over $500, Criminal Mischief in the First Degree, Escape in the Second Degree, Possession of a Controlled Substance in the First Degree- Heroin, Persistent Felony Offender in the First Degree)
- Mr. Thornton (DOB 09/04/1998) is charged with multiple offenses that occurred between December 15, 2014 and January 24, 2015. When officers found the defendant he was driving a stolen vehicle, fled from police, fought with officers, and had in his possession stolen property. A suppression hearing is scheduled for Friday, December 16, 2016, at 10:00 a.m. in Division 8 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Jennifer Murzyn Yancey is the prosecutor.
Carlos Beauchamp, Jaquae Sanders, & Luretta Lynn Todd – 14CR1561 (Complicity to Murder [All Defendants], Possession of a Handgun by Convicted Felon [Beauchamp Only])
- Mr. Beauchamp (DOB0 05/12/81), Mr. Sanders (DOB 09/21/93), and Ms. Todd (DOB 03/19/85) are charged in connection with the June 3, 2014, shooting death of Keith Lane in the 1100 block of South 8th Street. A hearing on a motion filed by Defendant Todd in anticipation for the January 3, 2017, trial date is scheduled for Tuesday, December 20 at 10:00 a.m. in Division 5 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Jennifer Murzyn Yancey is the prosecutor.
Barry Glenn Morris and Anu White – 14CR3257 (Murder, Robbery in the First Degree, Tampering with Physical Evidence)
- Mr. Morris (01/21/99) and Mr. White (07/27/96) are charged with the murder and robbery of taxicab driver Mr. Papa Thiam on November 17, 2014. Two other co-defendants, Mr. Lewis (DOB 5/31/98) and Mr. Lovings (DOB 09/09/97), previously entered guilty pleas to Facilitation to Murder and Facilitation to Robbery I and agreed to testify. A trial is scheduled to begin December 12 at 1:00 p.m. in Division Five of Jefferson Circuit Court. Elizabeth Jones Brown and Justin Janes are the prosecutors.