From the Office of the Commonwealth’s Attorney. Please see our Media Releases page at louisvilleprosecutor.com/media-releases for more details and archives.
OFFICE OF THE COMMONWEALTH’S ATTORNEY
COMMONWEALTH OF KENTUCKY
30th JUDICIAL CIRCUIT
THOMAS B. WINE, COMMONWEALTH’S ATTORNEY
Weekly Media Release: October 17-October 28, 2016
Attention: Assignment Editor
Director of Communications: Jeff Cooke
Office: (502) 595-2340 Ext. 3027
Cell / Text: (502) 262-5809
NOTE: These represent only a few of the many cases which the Office of Jefferson County Commonwealth’s Attorney is handling. If you have any comments, or need further information concerning these or any other matters please do not hesitate to call. An indictment is only an accusation. A defendant is presumed innocent until or unless found guilty. The enclosed court actions are subject to change.
According to the Rules of Criminal Procedure (RCr 3.02, 3.05, and 8.01), the arraignment of individuals whose case has been submitted directly to the grand jury shall take place within a reasonable time after the return of an indictment. If you are interested in a case that has been submitted directly to the grand jury, then please contact the court division in which it has been assigned to obtain the time and date of the arraignment.
William E. McGaughy III – 16CR2743 (Murder; Assault in the First Degree; Criminal Mischief in the First Degree; Operating a Motor Vehicle Under the Influence of Intoxicants [Second Offense])
- Mr. McGaughy (DOB 05/27/1956) is charged with the Murder of Ms. Regetta Board. Ms. Board was the passenger in a car driven by Mr. McGaughy on September 7, 2016. At approximately 5:05 a.m., Mr. McGaughy failed to stop at a stop sign at the intersection of South 27th Street and West Chestnut Street. The car driven by Mr. McGaughy collided with another car, leading to the hospital transfer of that driver, Mr. McGaughy, and Ms. Board before succumbing to her injuries. Results of a blood test indicate Mr. McGaughy’s blood alcohol content to be 0.217. Mr. McGaughy is scheduled to be arraigned on these charges on October 17, 2016 at 9:00 a.m. in Division 6 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Nathan Batey is the prosecutor.
Michael S. Gaffney – 16CR2766 (Sodomy in the First Degree; Incest; Sexual Abuse in the First Degree)
- Mr. Gaffney (DOB 06/07/1992) is charged with Sodomizing his four year old nephew. In a forensic interview conducted at Family and Children’s Place, the child disclosed that Mr. Gaffney told him to “relax and stuck his wiener in my butt.” In an interview conducted the next day, Mr. Gaffney admitted that he had sexual contact with the victim, including forcing the victim to masturbate him. Mr. Gaffney is scheduled to be arraigned on these charges on October 17, 2016 at 9:00 a.m. in Division 6 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Danielle Yannelli is the prosecutor.
Mr. Ottis Lee Hart Jr. – 16CR2744 (Robbery in the First Degree; Escape in the Second Degree; Tampering with Prisoner Monitoring Device)
- Mr. Hart (DOB 11/11/1969) is charged with Robbery resulting from a home invasion. The victim states that Mr. Hart kicked in the door to her apartment and grabbed her by her hair, demanding cash stating, “Give me money or I will kill you.” The defendant then took the victim’s cell phone and fled the apartment where his co-defendant, Ms. Cynthia L. Neal (DOB 12/10/1985), waited in a vehicle. At the time of the incident, Mr. Hart was serving a sentence from another crime on the Home Incarceration Program. Mr. Hart will be arraigned on these charges on October 17, 2016 at 1:15 p.m. in Division 6 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Andrew Beckman is the prosecutor.
Michael Eddie Doertch JR. – 16CR2172 (Murder; Persistent Felony Offender in the First Degree)
- Mr. Doertch (DOB 05/27/1983) is charged with the August 5, 2016, Murder of Eddie Garland. Mr. Doertch, admitted to striking the victim with a metal pole and then dragging the victim’s body outside of the house they were sharing. Eight days prior to the murder, Mr. Doertch had been released on his own recognizance after an arrest on July 26, 2016, for Assault in the Second Degree and Alcohol Intoxication. A pretrial conference is scheduled for October 24, 2016, at 8:30a.m. in Division 7 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Joshua F. Waldrop is the prosecutor.
James M. Spaulding – 16CR0358 (Murder; Criminal Attempt Murder; Robbery in the First Degree; Burglary In the First Degree; Criminal Attempt Burglary In the First Degree; Wanton Endangerment In the First Degree [Four Counts]; Tampering With Physical Evidence; Fleeing or Evading Police In the First Degree; Assault In the Third Degree; Criminal Mischief in the First Degree).
- Mr. Spaulding (DOB 06/16/1983) is charged in relation to the shooting death of store employee Denny Davis at the Stop-n-Go Liquor and Convenience Store located at 427 Warnock Street on February 4, 2016. After shooting Mr. Davis and shooting at another employee in the store, Mr. Spaulding fled the store and attempted to unlawfully enter nearby residences. When he could not get into the residences, he fired the gun into one of the residences and endangered the lives of several people inside. He was eventually arrested in the middle of Interstate 65 South after he led law enforcement on a chase after fleeing the Warnock Street area. Mr. Spaulding is scheduled to be in court for a pretrial conference on Monday, October 17, 2016 at 9:00 a.m. in Division 6 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Stacy Greive and Alex Gaddis are the prosecutors.
Destiny Rhodes- 16CR2580 (Robbery in the First Degree [Three counts]; Kidnapping [Three counts]; Fraudulent Use of a Credit Card under $500)
- Ms. Rhodes (DOB 06/05/1996) is charged in connection with the robbery and kidnapping of three women at 4th Street Live on June 17, 2016. A bond hearing is scheduled for Monday, October 24 at 9:45 a.m. in Division 9 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Jennifer Murzyn Yancey is the prosecutor.
Tyson Gholson- 16CR0536 (Criminal Attempt Murder; Assault in the First Degree; Persistent Felony Offender in the Second Degree)
- Mr. Gholson (DOB 05/11/1990) is charged in connection with the October 9, 2015 shooting of Desmen Sanders in the 900 block of Franklin Street. A suppression hearing is scheduled for Thursday, October 27, 2016 at 10:00 a.m. in Division 9 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Jennifer Murzyn Yancey is the prosecutor.
Kenneth Leon Pope – 15CR1906 (Murder; Possession of a Handgun by Convicted Felon; Tampering with Physical Evidence; Persistent Felony Offender in the Second Degree)
- Mr. Pope (DOB 05/12/1998) is charged with the July 4, 2015, shooting death of Mr. Tyron Jones in the 400 block of South 12th Street. A suppression hearing is scheduled for Friday, October 28, 2016, at 11:00 a.m. in Division 4 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Jennifer Murzyn Yancey is the prosecutor.
Korey Gilbert and Lindsey Brown – 15CR1972 (Assault in the First Degree; Wanton Endangerment in the First Degree [Two Counts])
- Mr. Gilbert (DOB 7/26/94) and Ms. Brown (7/21/90) are charged in complicity in relation to a shooting that happened at 4:25 a.m. on July 20, 2015, at 843 South 26th Street. Ms. Ronnie Amacher, the target of the shooting, was severely injured, and two other occupants of the porch were endangered. A trial is tentatively scheduled to begin Tuesday, October 25, in Division 6 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Elizabeth Jones Brown is the prosecutor.
Michael A. Thornton – 15CR2660 (Burglary in the Second Degree [Two Counts]; Wanton Endangerment in the First Degree [Two Counts]; Assault in the Third Degree; Theft By Unlawful Taking Over $500 [Two Counts]; Receiving Stolen Property Over $500 [Three Counts]; Fleeing or Evading Police in the First Degree [Three Counts]; Obscuring the Identity of a Machine Over $500, Criminal Mischief in the First Degree; Escape in the Second Degree; Possession of a Controlled Substance in the First Degree- Heroin; Persistent Felony Offender in the First Degree)
- Mr. Thornton (DOB 09/04/1998) is charged with multiple offenses that occurred between December 15, 2014 and January 24, 2015. When officers found the defendant he was driving a stolen vehicle, fled from police, fought with officers, and had in his possession stolen property. A Trial is scheduled for Monday, October 24, 2016, at 9:00 a.m. in Division 8 of Jefferson Circuit Court, however there has been a motion filed by defense counsel to continue this date. Jennifer Murzyn Yancey is the prosecutor.
Damen Lee, Jr. – 15CR1529 (Robbery in the First Degree; Burglary in the First Degree; Kidnapping in the First Degree; Sodomy in the First Degree; Receiving a Stolen Firearm; Possession of a Handgun by a Minor)
- Mr. Lee (DOB 12/31/1998), and two co-defendants robbed a 77-year-old man on April 13, 2015, forcing him through his house at gunpoint while they stole items, and then forcing him into the trunk of his own vehicle. They then stole another of the victim’s vehicles and fled in it. Police found that vehicle abandoned where it had collided with a utility pole, checked the registration, and responded to the victim’s residence where they rescued him from his trunk. Mr. Lee and two different co-defendants robbed a woman at gunpoint in her home the following day, and Mr. Lee is charged with sodomy in relation to that incident. They also robbed two painters after they left the woman’s residence. When Mr. Lee was arrested two days later, police recovered from his possession a gun stolen from the first crime scene. All other co-defendants have been sentenced. Mr. Lee’s sentencing is scheduled for October 24, 2016 at 9:30 a.m. in Division 10 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Elizabeth Jones Brown is the prosecutor.