From the Office of the Commonwealth’s Attorney. Please see our Media Releases page at louisvilleprosecutor.com/media-releases for more details and archives.
OFFICE OF THE COMMONWEALTH’S ATTORNEY
COMMONWEALTH OF KENTUCKY
30th JUDICIAL CIRCUIT
THOMAS B. WINE, COMMONWEALTH’S ATTORNEY
Weekly Media Release: May 23-May 27, 2016
Attention: Assignment Editor
Director of Communications: Jeff Cooke
Office: (502) 595-2340 Ext. 3027
Cell / Text: (502) 262-5809
NOTE: These represent only a few of the many cases which the Office of Jefferson County Commonwealth’s Attorney is handling. If you have any comments, or need further information concerning these or any other matters please do not hesitate to call. An indictment is only an accusation. A defendant is presumed innocent until or unless found guilty. The enclosed court actions are subject to change.
According to the Rules of Criminal Procedure (RCr 3.02, 3.05, and 8.01), the arraignment of individuals whose case has been submitted directly to the grand jury shall take place within a reasonable time after the return of an indictment. If you are interested in a case that has been submitted directly to the grand jury, then please contact the court division in which it has been assigned to obtain the time and date of the arraignment.
KEITH LAMONT PONDER JR., – 16CR0944 (Assault in the First Degree)
- Mr. Ponder (DOB 3/23/93) is charged with shooting and seriously injuring clerk Tedros Dagnew at the 26th Street Liquors at 2600 Chestnut Street on March 23, 2016. A Pretrial conference was conducted May 20, 2016. The next court date will be on July 26, 2016 in Division 9. Elizabeth Jones Brown is the prosecutor.
TOMMY BATTON- 14CR2417 (Criminal Attempt Murder, Robbery I [Five Counts], Possession of a Handgun by a Convicted Felon, Persistent Felony Offender in the Second Degree)
- Mr. Batton (DOB 12/3/88) is charged with numerous August, 2014, armed robberies, including at the PRP Pizza on August 11, the Rodeway Inn on August 23, and the L&N Credit Union on August 29. A shot was fired at an employee of the Rodeway Inn during that robbery. A suppression hearing was conducted May 16. A Jury trial is set for July 12, 2016 at 10:00am in Division 13. Elizabeth Jones Brown in the prosecutor.
BRITTNEY BALLARD- 16CR0875 (4 counts Criminal Abuse I)
- Ms. Ballard (DOB 11/10/95), is charged for the abuse of her son, who died in March 2016 at the age of 5 months. A Bond Hearing was to have been conducted Thursday, May 19, 2016, but it has now been scheduled to occur at the next pretrial which is is scheduled for June 28, 2016 a.m. in Circuit Court Division 1. Christie Foster is the prosecutor.
DESHON DORSEY- 14CR3330 (Murder)
- Mr. Dorsey (DOB 12/17/87), is charged for the December 12, 2014 death of his estranged girlfriend, Porcia Mills. A Pretrial Conference was conducted on Wednesday, May 18, 2016. The next Pretrial conference is scheduled for June 27, 2016 at 10:00a.m. in Circuit Court Division 12. Christie Foster is the prosecutor.
MARK R. TATUM – 12CR1734 (Murder, Forgery in the First Degree, Wanton Endangerment in the First Degree, and Retailing against a Participant in the Legal Process).
- Mr. Tatum (DOB 12/11/59) was convicted by a jury of his peers on May 16, 2016, of Murder, Wanton Endangerment 1st Degree, and Retaliating Against a Witness in the Legal Process. Mr. Tatum was found guilty of the May 31, 2012, shooting death of his neighbor, Mr. David Allen, in the 700 block of Gagel Avenue. The shooting was in response to charges taken out by the victim against Mr. Tatum. On May 17, 2016, the jury recommended a sentence of thirty-five (35) years in prison. Formal sentencing is scheduled for August 1, 2016 at 9:00 in Division One. Nick Mudd and Critt Cunningham are the prosecutors.
LATROY D. GASTON JR – 16CR1321 (Robbery in the First Degree [Five Counts], Burglary in the First Degree.
- Mr. Gaston (DOB 9/22/95) has been indicted in connection with a string of robberies. The first occurred on 1/10/16; the victims were in their residence when three individuals entered the home (one armed with a handgun) and demanded money. The victim whose phone was taken was later contacted by a friend who stated that someone is using her Snapchat account on the stolen phone. The victims provided a snapchat photo and stated that he was one of the subjects who robbed them. The defendant is complicit in four additional robberies. The case will be arraigned in Jefferson County Circuit Court Division 5 on Monday, May 23, 2016 at 10:30 pm. Josh Waldrop is the Prosecutor.
TRACELL D. NUNN – 16CR1318 (Criminal Attempt Murder of a Police Officer [Two Counts], Possession of a Handgun by a Convicted Felon, Persistent Felony Offender in the Second Degree.)
- Ms. Nunn (DOB 11/15/88) has been indicted in connection with a May 9, 2016 police stop on a black Chrysler 300 (KY) 651-TFY at the intersection of Kramer’s Lane and Matthews Ave. The vehicle was occupied by three (3) individuals. After obtaining the information officers returned to their vehicle at which time the rear passenger exited the vehicle fleeing on foot. The defendant fired (2) shots at the officers as they continued their pursuit, the subject fled into a wooded area in the 3300 block Smith Road. K-9 “Bane” located the defendant in the wooded area in the 3300 block of Smith Road. Defendant was taken to hospital for dog bites. [Canine-Criminal-Karma for case below?] Officer recovered a Ruger .357 revolver. The case will be arraigned in Jefferson County Circuit Court Division 12 on Monday, May 23, 2016 at 3:00 pm. Ebert Haegele is the prosecutor.
BRADY ADKINS AND MARCUS THORNSBERRY – 15CR2057 (Complicity to Robbery in the First Degree [Multiple Counts], Complicity to Wanton Endangerment in the First Degree [Multiple Counts], Complicity to Assault in the First Degree, Possession of a Handgun by a Convicted Felon, Cruelty to Animals in the Second Degree
- Mr. Adkins (DOB 2/20/92) and Mr. Thornsberry (DOB 12/20/94) are being prosecuted in connection with a On June 15, 2015 incident where the defendants entered a detached garage armed with handguns and ordered everyone to the ground. One of them then struck victim who is a juvenile in the head with the gun. The other defendant then struggled with a victim whose father who was inside the residence. The defendant ordered the son to the ground while pointing a gun at his face. Victim’s father ran to his bedroom and retrieved a handgun. He and defendant exchanged gunfire. Both defendants fled the scene before police arrived. As one of the defendants fled he shot an unrelated neighbor’s dog twice. [The dog survived.] A suppression hearing will be conducted in Jefferson County Circuit Court Division 2 on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 at 9:30am. Critt Cunningham is the prosecutor.
TOYA DENISE MATHIS – 14CR1388 (Murder)
- Mr. Mathis (DOB 02/07/1986) is charged with the murder of Thaddeus Thomas. She is charged with assaulting the victim by striking him with her vehicle in the Incredible Dave’s parking lot on May 19, 2014. Trial is scheduled for Monday, May 23, 2016, at 1:30 p.m. in Division 2 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Alicia Gomez is the prosecutor.