From the Office of the Commonwealth’s Attorney. Please see our Media Releases page at louisvilleprosecutor.com/media-releases for more details and archives.
OFFICE OF THE COMMONWEALTH’S ATTORNEY
COMMONWEALTH OF KENTUCKY
30th JUDICIAL CIRCUIT
THOMAS B. WINE, COMMONWEALTH’S ATTORNEY
Weekly Media Release: April 11-April 15, 2016
Attention: Assignment Editor
Director of Communications: Jeff Cooke
Office: (502) 595-2340 Ext. 3027
Cell / Text: (502) 262-5809
NOTE: These represent only a few of the many cases which the Office of Jefferson County Commonwealth’s Attorney is handling. If you have any comments, or need further information concerning these or any other matters please do not hesitate to call. An indictment is only an accusation. A defendant is presumed innocent until or unless found guilty. The enclosed court actions are subject to change.
According to the Rules of Criminal Procedure (RCr 3.02, 3.05, and 8.01), the arraignment of individuals whose case has been submitted directly to the grand jury shall take place within a reasonable time after the return of an indictment. If you are interested in a case that has been submitted directly to the grand jury, then please contact the court division in which it has been assigned to obtain the time and date of the arraignment.
Keith Mario Reed – 16CR0837 (Murder)
- Mr. Reed (DOB 4/11/62) is charged in connection with the stabbing death of Mr. Byron Knott on March 24, 2016. The stabbing occurred in front of 2006 Garland Avenue. An arraignment is scheduled for Monday, April 11, 2016, at 9:30 a.m. in Division 3. Ryan Olberding is the prosecutor.
Jefferey Meyer – 16CR0842 (Assault in the Second Degree, Assault in the Fourth Degree)
- Meyer (DOB 1/12/60) is charged with Assault in the Second Degree and Assault in the Fourth Degree for an incident that occurred on 3/12/16 at The Who concert in the KFC Yum! Center. Mr. Meyer attempted to approach the stage, and when he was asked to return to his seat, he became verbally combative. Mr. Meyer pushed one staff member to the concrete floor, causing serious physical injury, and struck another staff member in the face. Now, it is ‘A Legal Matter’. An arraignment is scheduled for Monday, April 11, at 10:00 a.m. in Division 4 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Emily Cecil is the prosecutor.
Kenneth Bolin – 16CR0852 (Robbery in the First Degree [Two Counts], Persistent Felony Offender in the First Degree)
- Mr. Bolin (DOB 2/7/74) is charged with a 03-13-16 Robbery of the Kroger located at 9501 Westport Rd. He approached the cashier, indicated he was armed with a handgun and demanded $50 in business cash. The cashier complied, gave the defendant the business cash, and then closed the register. The defendant then demanded the rest of the money in the register. The cashier refused to re-open the register or give him any more money. The defendant then exited the store and was seen by witnesses and captured on surveillance video fleeing the scene. Later the same morning the defendant entered the Kroger located at 9440 Brownsboro Rd. He approached an employee who was stocking shelves, indicated he was armed with a handgun and ordered him up to a register at the front of the store. He then ordered the employee to give him $100. The defendant, Mr. Bolin, grabbed the entire unopened register drawer and exited the store. He was captured on surveillance video running across the parking lot. He then fled the scene. Mr. Bolin did not cover his face during the commission of either robbery. An arraignment is scheduled for Monday, April 11, at 3:30 p.m. in Division 13 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Elizabeth Jones Brown is the prosecutor.
Samuel Barrett – 16CR0485 (Sexual Abuse I-4 Counts; Unlawful Use of Electronic Means to Induce a Minor to Engage in Sexual or Other Prohibited Activities, Distribution of Obscene Matter to Minors)
- Mr. Barrett (DOB 10/16/88) is charged in relation to alleged conduct involving a student while Mr. Barrett was a teacher at Fern Creek High School. A pre-trial conference is scheduled for April 12, 2016 at 1:15 in Division Eight of the Circuit Court. Nathan Ray Batey II is the prosecutor.
John McLeaney -15CR3211 (Robbery in the First Degree [Two Counts], Kidnapping, Burglary in the First Degree, Impersonating a Peace Officer, Sexual Abuse in the First Degree, Unlawful Imprisonment in the First Degree, Intimidating a Participant in the Legal Process, Tampering With Physical Evidence, and Wanton Endangerment in the First Degree)
- Mr. McLeaney (DOB 10/11/69) has been indicted for offenses occurring on November 9, 2015, and November 28, 2015. A pretrial conference is scheduled for Thursday, April 14 at 9:15 a.m. in Division Ten. Kristi Gray is the prosecutor.
Stuart Cox – 16CR0838 (Murder-Domestic Violence)
- Mr. Cox (DOB 05/04/91) is charged in connection with the shooting death of Tracey Brock, Mr. Cox’s girlfriend. On Monday, April 11, 2016 at 1:00 p.m. in Division Eight of the Circuit Court, Mr. Cox will be arraigned. Mr. Cox’s bond is currently set at $500,000. Nathan Ray Batey II is the prosecutor.
Jasmine Wade– 16CR0127 (Murder, Tampering with Physical Evidence, and Abuse of a Corpse)
- Ms. Wade (DOB 01/04/00) on July 22, 2015, the Defendant gave a live birth to a baby girl. The Defendant smothered the victim shortly after her birth causing her death. The Defendant removed the corpse from the crime scene and hid it in her purse. On Wednesday, April 13, 2016 at 10:15 A.M. in Division Eleven of the Jefferson Circuit Court, a pre-trial conference will be held. Nathan Ray Batey II and Shelly Alvey are the Prosecutors.
Mark Highbaugh – 14CR3317 (Manslaughter in the Second Degree)
- Mr. Highbaugh (DOB 02/08/65) has entered a guilty plea to Manslaughter in the Second Degree and Operating a Motor Vehicle Under the Influence of Alcohol for a collision that occurred on December 7, 2014, in which Paul Ward was killed. The defendant is scheduled for sentencing on Tuesday, April 12 at 9:30 a.m. in Division Twelve. Kristi Gray is the prosecutor.
Korey Gilbert and Lindsey Brown – 15CR1972 (Assault in the First Degree, Wanton Endangerment in the First Degree [Two Counts])
- Mr. Gilbert (DOB 7/26/94) and Ms. Brown (7/21/90) are charged in complicity in relation to a shooting that happened at 4:25 a.m. on July 20, 2015, at 843 South 26th Street. Ms. Ronnie Amacher, the target of the shooting, was severely injured, and two other occupants of the porch were endangered. A trial is tentatively scheduled to begin Tuesday, April 12, in Division Six. Elizabeth Jones Brown and Critt Cunningham are the prosecutors.
Kevin Franklin- 14CR1318 (Murder, Possession of a Handgun by a Convicted Felon, and Tampering With Physical Evidence)
- Franklin (DOB 7/31/91) is charged for the March 10, 2014, shooting death of Nicholas Baker. Franklin is alleged to have shot Mr. Baker at the parking lot located at 12400 Parkfield Road. Trial is scheduled to begin Tuesday, March 29, 2015, at 10:00 a.m. in Division Thirteen. Nick Mudd is the prosecutor.
John Watkins – 13CR2619 (Robbery in the First Degree, Burglary in the Third Degree and Persistent Felony Offender in the First Degree)
- Mr. Watkins (DOB 08/27/80) is charged in connection with the brutal robbery of a BP gas station on Berry Boulevard on September 22, 2013. The Defendant entered the Berry Petroleum store, walked behind the counter with his hand concealed inside his shirt, and demanded that the clerk open the register. When the clerk hesitated, hesitated he began to assault her by punching her about the face and head, pushing her to the floor and dragging her to the register by her hair. When he was unable to open the register, he ripped it from the counter and fled on foot. Jury Trial is set in for Tuesday, April 12, 2016 at 9:30 am, in Division Two. Alex Gaddis is the Prosecutor.