From the Office of the Commonwealth’s Attorney. Please see our Media Releases page at louisvilleprosecutor.com/media-releases for more details and archives.
OFFICE OF THE COMMONWEALTH’S ATTORNEY
COMMONWEALTH OF KENTUCKY
30th JUDICIAL CIRCUIT
THOMAS B. WINE, COMMONWEALTH’S ATTORNEY
Weekly Media Release: February 8-February 12, 2016
Attention: Assignment Editor
Director of Communications: Jeff Cooke
Office: (502) 595-2340 Ext. 3027
Cell / Text: (502) 262-5809
NOTE: These represent only a few of the many cases which the Office of Jefferson County Commonwealth’s Attorney is handling. If you have any comments, or need further information concerning these or any other matters please do not hesitate to call. An indictment is only an accusation. A defendant is presumed innocent until or unless found guilty. The enclosed court actions are subject to change.
According to the Rules of Criminal Procedure (RCr 3.02, 3.05, and 8.01), the arraignment of individuals whose case has been submitted directly to the grand jury shall take place within a reasonable time after the return of an indictment. If you are interested in a case that has been submitted directly to the grand jury, then please contact the court division in which it has been assigned to obtain the time and date of the arraignment.
Corey Quantez Chapman – 16CR0219 (Murder, Possession of a Handgun by a Convicted Felon, and Persistent Felony Offender First Degree)
- Mr. Chapman (DOB 1/13/82), is charged with one count of Murder. Mr. Chapman is accused of shooting Leontynae Grant, who later died of her injuries. Mr. Chapman is a convicted felon, and is prohibited from possessing a handgun. Mr. Chapman was arraigned on Friday, February 5th in Division 10 of Jefferson Circuit Court. A pretrial conference is scheduled for February 29th at 9:30 am in Division 10. Adrienne Henderson is the prosecutor.
Kenneth Probus, Loretta Harris, Ronald Dickens – 16CR0278 (Criminal Attempt Murder(Probus -3 counts), Assault in the First Degree (Probus -1 count), Wanton Endangerment in the First Degree (Probus – 3 counts); Complicity to Trafficking in a Controlled Substance – Methamphetamine Under 2 Grams (ALL – 3 counts).
- Mr. Probus (DOB 07/19/1962) is charged in relation to a shooting that occurred when officers of the Shively Police Department executed a search warrant at 4113 Eden Lane on January 8, 2016 as well as with trafficking in the methamphetamine found in the residence. Ms. Harris (DOB 9/25/64) and Mr. Dicken (DOB 7/18/66) are charged with trafficking in the methamphetamine found in the residence. Ms. Harris was arraigned on Thursday, February 4, 2016 and Mr. Probus was arraigned on Friday, February 5, 2016 in Division 9 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Mr. Dicken is scheduled to be arraigned on Monday, February 8, 2016 at 1:30 p.m. in Division 9. A bond hearing for Mr. Probus has been scheduled for February 15, 2016 at 10:00 a.m. A pretrial conference has been scheduled for March 24, 2016 at 9:30 a.m. Andrew Beckman is the prosecutor.
Dejuan Hammond and Steven Pettway – 11CR2069 (Kidnapping (2 counts), Criminal Attempt Murder (2 counts), Assault in the First Degree, Burglary in the First Degree, Wanton Endangerment in the First Degree (2 counts)), and, on Hammond only, Persistent Felony Offender in the First Degree)
- The defendants, who have previously been convicted for the murder of Troya Sheckles in Shelby Park on March 23, 2009, are also charged with the listed crimes in relation to a June 28, 2011, burglary and kidnapping which resulted in a shooting that injured a woman in a home on East Kentucky Street. The Commonwealth was prepared to start trial on this case on Monday, February 8, 2016, but today Mr. Hammond attempted to have his attorneys removed from the case. A hearing was held on Friday, February 4, 2016, and the court denied the defendant’s motion to remove his attorneys but did continue the trial date. The new trial date will be scheduled on Monday, February 8, 2016 at 10:00 a.m. in Division 4 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Elizabeth Jones Brown is the prosecutor.
Decoco Blincoe and Terrence Towns – 14CR2695 (Robbery in the First Degree [Three Counts]), Burglary in the First Degree, Fleeing or Evading Police in the First Degree, and Tampering with Physical Evidence)
- On August 15, 2014, defendants Decoco Blincoe (DOB 05/11/95) and Terrence Towns (DOB 12/12/95) unlawfully entered 3509 Grand Avenue. Blincoe was armed with a shotgun and Towns was armed with a handgun. They robbed a bedridden quadriplegic man of $2,000 and another man of a cell phone. On August 22, 2014, at 1763 Dumnesnil Street in Jefferson County, Kentucky, defendant Blincoe robbed a man of $350 with a shotgun. On August 26, 2014, defendant Blincoe was in possession of a shotgun in his waist band which he threw when police approached. He fled through a fenced-in yard and was arrested in the 100 block of N. 20th Street. The shotgun had the buttstock and barrel sawed down. On Tuesday February 2, 2016 in Division 9 of Jefferson Circuit Court, defendant Blincoe pled guilty to three counts of Robbery in the First Degree, Burglary in the First Degree, Fleeing or Evading Police in the First Degree, and Tampering with Physical Evidence. He agreed to serve 10 years in prison (which sentence requires that he serve 85% of his sentence before he is eligible for parole). On that same date, defendant Towns pled guilty to two counts of Robbery in the Second Degree and one count of Burglary in the First Degree agreed to serve 15 years in prison (which sentence requires that he serve 20% of his sentence before he is eligible for parole). Sentencing for both defendants is scheduled for April 12, 2016 in Division 9 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Alex Gaddis and Justin Janes are the prosecutors.
Deveron Shively – 14CR0117 (Criminal Attempt Murder, Robbery in the First Degree, and Possession of a Handgun by Convicted Felon)
- Mr. Shively (DOB 3/27/91), is charged with the December 20, 2013, robbery and attempted murder of Misty Shirley near Darnton Lane. The defendant shot her multiple times and fled the scene taking her cell phone. On Thursday, February 4, 2016 a Jefferson County jury convicted Mr. Shively of Criminal Attempt Murder and on Friday, February 5, 2016 convicted Mr. Shively of Possession of a Handgun by Convicted Felon in a trial that began on Monday, February 1, 2016 in Division 3 of Jefferson Circuit Court. The jury recommended a sentence of 20 years. Jennifer Murzyn Yancey and Molly Cassady are the prosecutors.
John Zachery Ganobcik – 16CR0286 (Criminal Attempt Murder, Kidnapping, Robbery in the First Degree, Criminal Mischief in the First Degree).
- Mr. Ganobcik (DOB 10/24/88) is charged in relation to the events surrounding his attack upon a female leaving her downtown place of employment at approximately 6:00 p.m. on January 26, 2016. These offenses occurred in the parking Garage located at 425 South 5th Street. Mr. Ganobcik is scheduled to be arraigned on Monday, February 8, 2016 at 9:00 a.m. in Division 2 of Jefferson County Circuit Court. Arraignment could be delayed due to the defendant being hospitalized. Stacy Greive and Joshua Waldrop are the prosecutors.
Davron Burrell, Steffon Garcia, Jasamane Wathal – 16CR0290 (Kidnapping)
- Mr. Burrell (DOB 1/28/92), Mr. Garcia (DOB 9/12/94), and Mr. Wathal (DOB 10/3/89) were indicted by the Jefferson County Grand Jury for a kidnapping that occurred on January 25, 2016. During the kidnapping, the victim was allegedly forced into the trunk of a vehicle. A $100,000 ransom was then sought for the victim’s release. Mr. Wathal was arraigned on Thursday, February 4, 2016 and Mr. Garcia and Mr. Burrell are scheduled to be arraigned on Monday, March 8, 2016 at 10:30 a.m. in Division 5 of Jefferson County Circuit Court. A Pre-Trial Conference has been scheduled for March 8, 2016 at 10:00 a.m. Ryan W. Becker is the prosecutor.
Travon Harrison & Shajuantia Jackson – 15CR3307 (Complicity to Murder, Complicity to Burglary I, Tampering with Physical Evidence, Wanton Endangerment I [3 cts], Assault IV (Jackson only))
- Mr. Harrison (DOB 04/24/96) and Ms. Jackson (DOB 10/20/90) are charged in connection with the December 10, 2015, shooting death of Tevin Logan. A pretrial conference is scheduled for Thursday, February 11, at 9:30 a.m. in Division 2 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Alicia Gomez is the prosecutor.
Bradley Hanlon – 15CR3173 (Murder)
- Mr. Hanlon (DOB 9/5/84)), is charged for September 25, 2015 death of a 21-month old left in his care. A pre-trial conference is scheduled for Thursday, February 11 at 10:00 am in Division 12 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Christie Foster is the prosecutor.
Quinton Huddleston – 14CR1960 (Murder, Criminal Attempt Murder, Assault I, Burglary I, Wanton Endangerment I, and Violation of Protective Order)
- Mr. Huddleston (DOB 9/9/91), is charged with the June 16, 2014 shooting of his estranged girlfriend and the murder of her brother. A pretrial conference is scheduled for Friday, February 12 at 1:30 p.m. in Division 7 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Christie Foster is the prosecutor.
Tommy Batton – 14CR2417 (Criminal Attempt Murder, Robbery I [5 counts], Possession of a Handgun by a Convicted Felon, Persistent Felony Offender in the Second Degree)
- Mr. Batton (DOB 12/3/88) is charged with numerous August 2014, armed robberies, including at the PRP Pizza on August 11, the Rodeway Inn on August 23, and the L&N Credit Union on August 29. A shot was fired at an employee of the Rodeway Inn during that robbery. A suppression hearing is scheduled February 10, 2016, at 11:00 a.m. in Division 13 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Elizabeth Jones Brown is the prosecutor.
Eugene Baker -12cr3691 (Murder, Robbery 1st Degree, Tampering with Physical Evidence, Possession of a Handgun by a Convicted Felon [Baker only])
- Mr. Baker (DOB 3/15/85) is charged with entering the apartment of the victim, Dominic Hudson at the Brookview Apartment Complex off of St. Andrews Church Road on August 25, 2007. Baker then shot him in the back of the head causing Hudson’s death. The defendant then removed an undetermined amount of marijuana and cash from the apartment and fled by vehicle. He then disposed of the handgun used to commit the crime. A jury in January of this year previously hung as to his guilt. Trial commenced on Tuesday, February 2, 2016, and will resume on Monday, February 8, 2016 in Division 11. The case was previously tried in January of 2015, and the jury was unable to reach a verdict. Nick Mudd and Shelly Alvey are the prosecutors.
Michael A. Thornton – 15CR2660 (Burglary in the Second Degree [Two Counts], Wanton Endangerment in the First Degree [Two Counts], Assault in the Third Degree, Theft By Unlawful Taking Over $500 [Two Counts], Receiving Stolen Property Over $500 [Three Counts], Fleeing or Evading Police in the First Degree [Three Counts], Obscuring the Identity of a Machine Over $500, Criminal Mischief in the First Degree, , Escape in the Second Degree, Possession of a Controlled Substance in the First Degree- Heroin, and Persistent Felony Offender in the First Degree)
- Mr. Thornton (DOB 9/4/98) is charged with the March 14, 2014, shooting of a juvenile victim. A Trial is scheduled for Monday, February 8, 2016, at 1:00 p.m. in Division 3 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Jennifer Murzyn Yancey and Molly Cassady are the prosecutors.
Dasean Murdock – 14CR2038 (Assault in the First Degree, Tampering With Physical Evidence, Intimidating a Participant in the Legal Process, Possession of a Handgun by a Minor)
- Mr. Murdock (DOB 5/10/84) is charged with multiple offenses that occurred between December 15, 2014 and January 24, 2015. When officers found the defendant he was driving a stolen vehicle, fled from police, fought with officers, and had in his possession stolen property. A trial is scheduled for Monday, February 8, 2016, at 1:00 p.m. in Division 13 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Jennifer Murzyn Yancey is the prosecutor.
Whitney Phillips – 14CR1960 (Murder and three counts Criminal Abuse I)
- Ms. Phillips (DOB 7/22/89) pled guilty in December to three counts of Criminal Abuse II relating to the abuse of her three children that occurred in 2010 and 2011. Ms. Phillips is scheduled to be sentenced on Tuesday, February 9 at 9:00 in Circuit Court Division 6. (Ms. Phillips’ estranged boyfriend and co-defendant previously pled guilty to the Murder of one of her children. He was sentenced to 20 years. Both defendants were tried in January 2015 for the child’s Murder, which resulted in a hung jury.) Christie Foster is the prosecutor.