From the Office of the Commonwealth’s Attorney. Please see our Media Releases page at louisvilleprosecutor.com/media-releases for more details and archives.
OFFICE OF THE COMMONWEALTH’S ATTORNEY
COMMONWEALTH OF KENTUCKY
30th JUDICIAL CIRCUIT
THOMAS B. WINE, COMMONWEALTH’S ATTORNEY
Weekly Media Release: February 29-March 4, 2016
Attention: Assignment Editor
Director of Communications: Jeff Cooke
Office: (502) 595-2340 Ext. 3027
Cell / Text: (502) 262-5809
NOTE: These represent only a few of the many cases which the Office of Jefferson County Commonwealth’s Attorney is handling. If you have any comments, or need further information concerning these or any other matters please do not hesitate to call. An indictment is only an accusation. A defendant is presumed innocent until or unless found guilty. The enclosed court actions are subject to change.
According to the Rules of Criminal Procedure (RCr 3.02, 3.05, and 8.01), the arraignment of individuals whose case has been submitted directly to the grand jury shall take place within a reasonable time after the return of an indictment. If you are interested in a case that has been submitted directly to the grand jury, then please contact the court division in which it has been assigned to obtain the time and date of the arraignment.
SIGNIFICANT EVENTS (Past Week)
Preston Starling– 15CR1741 (Robbery in the First Degree, Burglary in the First Degree, Assault IV)
- Mr. Starling (DOB 2/04/94) pled guilty to the amended charges of Robbery in the Second Degree, Burglary in the Second Degree and Assault IV in connection with a March 21, 2015 home invasion. The defendant along with a co-defendant burst in the door of a Garland Avenue apartment. Co-defendant brandished a gun. They demanded money and property from the victim. The victim went to the hospital for bites and minor injuries he received. Starling was sentenced in Division Three of the Jefferson Circuit Court on Friday, February 26, 2016 to Ten Years to Serve. Critt Cunningham was the Prosecutor.
Samuel Lee Barrett– 16CR0486 (Sexual Abuse I [Four Counts], Unlawful Use of Electronic Means to Induce a Minor to Engage in Sexual or Other Prohibited Activities, and Distribution of Obscene Matter to Minors)
- Mr. Barrett (DOB 10/16/88) is charged with the above offenses as a result of an inappropriate sexual relationship with a student while a teacher at Fern Creek High School that occurred in 2015. The Defendant is scheduled to be arraigned in Division Eight of the Jefferson Circuit Court on Monday, February 29, 2016 at 1:00 P.M. The defendant’s bond is currently set at $10,000 which has been posted. Nathan Ray Batey II and Alicia Gomez are the Prosecutors.
William Adam Crews, Michael Eugene Jenkins, Conrai Andre Kaballah, Tymarius Rashaun Malone, Tyjuan Romel Moody, John Robinson III, Jody Allen Smith, Richardo Delquan Taylor, James Marvin Westin III, Dashawn Lamont Wright – 16CR0480 (Criminal Attempt Murder [All], Assault in the First Degree [All], Sodomy in the First Degree [All], and Persistent Felony Offender in the First Degree [Crews, Jenkins, Kaballah, Moody, Smith, and Taylor.]
- Defendant William Crews (DOB 6/2/1980), Michael Eugene Jenkins (DOB 5/2/1985), Conrai Andre Kaballah, Jr (DOB 2/1/1990), Tymarius Rashaun Malone (DOB 5/26/1994), Tyjuan Romel Moody (DOB 5/29/1989), John Robinson III (DOB 3/29/1995), Jody Allen Smith (DOB 5/31/1992), Ricardo Delquan Taylor (11/18/1987), Dashawn Lamont Wright (DOB 10/23/1991) are charged with the November 13, 2014 assault of Cedric Weaver who was an inmate at Louisville Metro Department of Corrections at the time of the assault. Arraignment is scheduled for March 7, 2016 at 10:00 a.m. in Division One of Jefferson Circuit Court. Shelly Alvey is the prosecutor.
Jasmine Wade– 16CR0127 (Murder, Tampering with Physical Evidence, and Abuse of a Corpse)
- Ms. Wade (DOB 01/04/00) on July 22, 2015, gave a live birth to a baby girl. The Defendant smothered the victim shortly after her birth causing her death. The Defendant removed the corpse from the crime scene and hid the corpse in her purse. On Tuesday, February 23, 2016 the Defendant was arraigned in Division Eleven of the Jefferson Circuit Court. A bond hearing is scheduled for Tuesday, March 1, 2016 at 9:15 A.M. in Division Eleven. The Defendant’s bond is currently set at $50,000. Nathan Ray Batey II and Shelly Alvey are the Prosecutors.
Corey Quantez Chapman- 16CR0219 (Murder, Possession of a Handgun by a Convicted Felon, and Persistent Felony Offender First Degree)
- Mr. Chapman (DOB 1/13/82), is charged with one count of Murder. Mr. Chapman is accused of shooting Leontynae Grant, who later died of her injuries. Mr. Chapman is a convicted felon, and is prohibited from possessing a handgun. A pretrial conference is scheduled for February 29th at 9:30 am in Div. 10. Adrienne Henderson is the prosecutor.
Vernie Henderson Taylor- 15CR1191 (Robbery in the First Degree [Eight Counts])
- Mr. Taylor (DOB 4/20/64) is committing eight business robberies between March 16 and April 22, 2015. These include three Dollar Generals, two Family Dollars, a 24-7 Convenient Plus, a Subway, and a Cricket Wireless. The co-defendant, Susan Atwell, has already entered a plea and agreed to testify. A pre-trial conference is scheduled for Thursday, March 3, 2016 at 8:45 in Division 3. Elizabeth Jones Brown is the prosecutor.
Roy Thompson- 15CR0288 (Murder, Assault in the First Degree [Three Counts], Wanton Endangerment in the First Degree [Three counts], Criminal Mischief in the First Degree, Operating a Motor Vehicle on Revoked/Suspended Operator’s License, No Motor Vehicle Insurance, Operating a Motor Vehicle Under the Influence of Intoxicants- Second offense, and Persistent Felony Offender in the Second Degree)
- Mr. Thompson (DOB 5/4/87) is charged in connection with the January 18, 2015, collision on Dixie Highway that resulted in the death of Ms. Shelley Hurt and physical injuries to three other victims. A pretrial conference is scheduled for Tuesday, March 1, at 10:0 a.m. in Division Eleven of the Jefferson Circuit Court, at which time it is expected that the defendant will enter into a guilty plea. Mrs. Jennifer Murzyn Yancey is the prosecutor.
Charles Ballard- 15CR3283 (Murder, Failure to Stop and Render Aid/Assistance, No Motor Vehicle Insurance, Failure to Be in Possession of Operator’s License and/or Show Operator’s License, Operating a Motor Vehicle Under the Influence of Intoxicants- Second offense)
- Mr. Ballard (DOB 2/16/89) is charged in connection with the December 6, 2015, death of Cory Starrett, a pedestrian, on Griffiths Ave. A pretrial conference is scheduled for Friday, March 4, at 9:00 a.m. in Division One of the Jefferson Circuit Court. Mrs. Jennifer Murzyn Yancey is the prosecutor.
Jarrod Weiss – 14CR2387 (Murder and Tampering with Physical Evidence)
- Mr. Weiss (DOB 01/10/82) was convicted on January 14, 2016, by a jury of his peers of Murder and Tampering with Physical Evidence for the shooting death of Tanner Browning at the Creekside Apartments in St. Matthews on April 27, 2011. The jury recommended a sentence of 30 years in prison. Formal sentencing is scheduled on Thursday, March 3, 2016, at 8:30 A.M. Nick Mudd and Jeff Cooke are the prosecutors.
Jerard Garrett & Billy Richardson- 13CR0744 (Murder [Both], Robbery I [Both])
- Mr. Garrett (9/24/81) and Mr. Richardson (DOB 9/13/89) are charged with the December 23, 2012, shooting death of Kenneth Forbes, Jr., in a vehicle in the parking lot of the Beverage World located at 4048 Dixie Highway. Trial is scheduled to begin on Monday, February 29 at 1:00 p.m. in Division 2. Note: this case was previously consolidated with case 13CR0246, and the cases will be tried together. Nick Mudd and Jim Lesousky are the prosecutors.
Jerard Garrett & Billy Richardson- 13CR0246 (Murder [Both], Robbery I [Both]; Wanton Endangerment I [Garrett Only], Persistent Felony Offender I [Garrett Only])
- Mr. Garrett (9/24/81) and Mr. Richardson (DOB 9/13/89) are charged with the murder and robbery of Jaime Young on December 29, 2012. Trial is scheduled to begin on Monday, February 29 at 1:00 p.m. in Division 2. Note: this case was previously consolidated with case 13CR0744, and the cases will be tried together. Nick Mudd and Jim Lesousky are the prosecutors.
Jurmaine Henderson- 15CR0936 (Murder, Failure to Stop and Render Aid/Assistance, Wanton Endangerment in the First Degree [Three Counts], Operating a Motor Vehicle Without an Operator’s License, Failure to Produce Insurance Card, Operating a Motor Vehicle Under the Influence of Intoxicants- First offense [Aggravated Circumstances], Improper Turn, and Failure to Secure Child in Child Restraint Device [Two Counts])
- Mr. Henderson (DOB 7/3/79) is charged in connection with the March 21, 2015, collision in the 3900 block of Seventh Street Road that resulted in the death of Mr. James Walker, III and risk of death or serious physical to three other people, including two children. A trial is scheduled for Monday, February 29, at 1:00 p.m. in Division 10 of the Jefferson Circuit Court. Mrs. Jennifer Murzyn Yancey is the prosecutor.
William Truss- 12CR1417 (Murder [Two Counts])
- Mr. Truss (DOB 6/14/68) is being tried in connection with an April 29, 2012 shooting. The initial responding officer located a silver 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis; which is registered to the defendant, running, with the head lights. As the officer drove near the vehicle, he noticed a bullet hole in the rear window. The officer checked and found that two victims (one in the driver’s seat and one in the rear passenger side seat) had been shot. A was handgun laying in the front passenger’s seat near the armrest. Both victims were deceased. A Capital Murder Trial is scheduled to begin Friday, March 4 in Division 9 of the Jefferson Circuit Court. Frank Dahl and Ebert Haegele are the prosecutors.