From the Office of the Commonwealth’s Attorney. Please see our Media Releases page at louisvilleprosecutor.com/media-releases for more details and archives.
OFFICE OF THE COMMONWEALTH’S ATTORNEY
COMMONWEALTH OF KENTUCKY
30th JUDICIAL CIRCUIT
THOMAS B. WINE, COMMONWEALTH’S ATTORNEY
Weekly Media Release: January 18 – January 22, 2016
Attention: Assignment Editor
Director of Communications: Jeff Cooke
Office: (502) 595-2340 Ext. 3027
Cell / Text: (502) 262-5809
NOTE: These represent only a few of the many cases which the Office of Jefferson County Commonwealth’s Attorney is handling. If you have any comments, or need further information concerning these or any other matters please do not hesitate to call. An indictment is only an accusation. A defendant is presumed innocent until or unless found guilty. The enclosed court actions are subject to change.
According to the Rules of Criminal Procedure (RCr 3.02, 3.05, and 8.01), the arraignment of individuals whose case has been submitted directly to the grand jury shall take place within a reasonable time after the return of an indictment. If you are interested in a case that has been submitted directly to the grand jury, then please contact the court division in which it has been assigned to obtain the time and date of the arraignment.
SIGNIFICANT EVENTS (Past Week)
Jarrod Weiss – 14CR2387 (Murder, Tampering with Physical Evidence)
- Mr. Weiss was convicted at jury trial in Jefferson County Circuit Court Division 3 for the 2011 murder of Tanner Browning and tampering with physical evidence in connection with the crime. After reaching a finding of guilty earlier in the week, the jury on Friday, January, 15, 2016 concluded the penalty phase of the trial by recommending a sentence of 30 years. The defendant was represented by Rob Eggert. The Commonwealth was represented by Nick Mudd and Jeff Cooke.
Derek Roark – 15CR2875 (Tampering with Physical Evidence, Abuse of a Corpse, Persistent Felony Offender in the First Degree)
- Mr. Roark (DOB 10/15/76) is charged with placing the body of Jeffrey Kingdon (DOB 11/30/59) in a box he built for that purpose, and then dumping the box containing Mr. Kingdon’s body in an uninhabited wooded area near South Park Road, sometime between October 10 and October 13, 2015. A pretrial conference occurred on January 12, 2016 and the next pretrial conference is scheduled for Friday, February 5, 2016, at 9:15 a.m. in Division 2 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Elizabeth Jones Brown is the prosecutor.
Ronald Bullitt Jr., – 16CR0126 (Rape 1 [Two Counts], Assault I, Unlawful Imprisonment I, Tampering with Physical Evidence)
- Mr. Bullitt (DOB 11/12/90) was arraigned on Friday, January 15, 2016 in connection with a June 9, 2015 attack near the 1700 block of St. Louis Ave. The victim was held against her will and raped multiple times. Mr. Bullitt was at the time, a registered sexual offender from the state of Georgia. The defendant’s bond currently stands $250,000. He will appear for pretrial in Jefferson County Circuit Court Division 12 on Thursday, March 10, 2016 at 9:15 am. Critt Cunningham is the prosecutor.
Christopher Beverly – 16CR0104 (Assault I).
- Mr. Beverly (DOB 12/29/66) was indicted on January 13, 2016 by the Jefferson County Grand Jury for his involvement in an assault on November 20, 2015, which caused life threatening injuries including brain swelling and bleeding. Beverly was arrested at the scene. Mr. Beverly will appear for arraignment in Jefferson County Circuit Court Division 3 on Tuesday, January 19, 2015 at 9:30 am. The Commonwealth will also be addressing a motion for increased bond on the defendant. Joshua Waldrop is the prosecutor.
Jasmine Wade- 16CR0127 (Murder, Tampering with Physical Evidence, and Abuse of a Corpse]).
- Ms. Wade (DOB 1/4/2000) is charged with intentionally causing the death of her new-born baby girl. Ms. Wade will appear for arraignment on January 21, 2016 at 10:30 A.M. in Division 11 of the Circuit Court. Nathan Ray Batey II is the prosecutor.
Deontae D. Yarnell – 15CR2214 (Murder)
- Mr. Yarnell (DOB 7/23/93), is charged with the August 8, 2015, shooting death of Mr. Deandre Murphy near 5241 Halsey Court. A Pretrial Conference is scheduled for Friday, January 22, 2015, at 9:00 a.m. in Division 3 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Jennifer Murzyn Yancey is the prosecutor.
Larry Wayne Lewis – 15CR1350 (Rape in the First Degree [Seven Counts], Sexual Abuse in the First Degree [Two Counts], Sodomy in the First Degree [Four Counts], Unlawful Transaction with a Minor in the First Degree [Two Counts], Incest [Seven Counts], Use of a Minor in a Sexual Performance [Two Counts], Criminal Attempt Sodomy in the First Degree, and Distribution of Obscene Matter to Minors [Two Counts])
- Mr. Lewis (DOB 2/11/49) is charged for sex offenses in relation to minor children. Mr. Lewis is to appear on January 20, 2016 at 8:30 A.M. in Division Seven of the Jefferson Circuit Court for a Pre-Trial Conference. Nathan Ray Batey II is the prosecutor.
Carlos Stone- 15CR2670 (Murder, Tampering with Physical Evidence)
- Mr. Stone (DOB 01/04/77) is charged in connection with the September 29, 2015, shooting death of Annquonette Starr. A pretrial conference is scheduled for Wednesday, January 20, at 9:00 a.m. in Division 10 of Jefferson Circuit Court. Alicia Gomez is the prosecutor.
David T. Satterfield, Jr. – 14CR0326 (Murder)
- Mr. Satterfield (DOB 12/28/79) is charged in connection with the August 6, 2007, death of Ms. Marcelline Vale at the Parkway Medical Center. A pretrial conference is scheduled for Tuesday, January 19, 2016, at 9:30 a.m. in Division Nine of the Jefferson Circuit Court. Ryan Olberding is the prosecutor.
Christopher L. McCullum – 15CR0968 (Murder, Wanton Endangerment in the First Degree, Tampering with Physical Evidence)
- Mr. McCullum (DOB 2/21/72) is charged in connection with the February 21, 2015, shooting death of Mukhtar Ahmad on I-71. A pre-trial conference is scheduled on Friday, January 22, 2016, at 8:30 a.m. in Division Seven of the Jefferson Circuit Court. Ryan Olberding is the prosecutor.
Bradley Hanlon, 15CR3173 (Murder)
- Mr. Hanlon (DOB 9/5/84), is charged in connection with the September 25, 2015 death of a 21-month old child left in his care. A pre-trial conference is scheduled for Friday, January 22, 2016 at 9:30 am in Div. 12. Christie Foster is the prosecutor.
Gregory Childs and Emily Childs- 14CR2062 (Rape I [Mr. Childs Only], Sexual Abuse I [Both], Rape II [Both], Sodomy II [Both], and Unlawful Transaction with a Minor III [Mr. Childs Only])
- Mr. Childs (DOB 9/28/84) is charged with Rape I, Sexual Abuse I, three counts of Rape II, three counts of Sodomy II, and Unlawful Transaction with a Minor III, for a relationship with a minor child between 2008 and 2010. Ms. Childs (DOB 5/15/87) is charged with two counts of Rape II, three counts of Sodomy II, and one counts of Sexual Abuse I for relationship with the same minor child. A pre-trial conference is scheduled for Thursday, January 21st at 9:15 am in Div. 2. Christie Foster is the prosecutor.
Paula Oppel – 14CR1775 (Manslaughter, Failure to Render Aid)
- The defendant was convicted of manslaughter in the second degree, failure to render aid and DUI for a collision on July 3, 2014 that killed tow truck driver Jewan Turner. The defendant was sentenced to 12 years on May 20, 2015, and has filed a motion requesting shock probation. A hearing on the defendant’s motion for shock probation is scheduled on Jan 19, 2016 at 9:30 a.m. in division 10. Kristi Gray is the prosecutor.
Edward Armstrong – 12CR1033 (Theft by Failure to Make Required Disposition Over $10,000)
- Mr. Armstrong (DOB 2/29/60) is charged in connection with making fraudulent representations that he would construct a building for Mr. Michael Brown and intentionally failing to complete the work or return funds to the victim after receiving and negotiating two checks totaling $16,000. This is alleged to have occurred between November 1, 2010, and March 7, 2011. A restitution hearing is scheduled for Tuesday, January 19, 2016, at 9:45 a.m. in Division Seven of the Jefferson Circuit Court. Mr. Ryan Olberding is the prosecutor.
Quinn Chandler- 14CR2937 (Murder I, Robbery I, Burglary I [Complicity])
- Mr. Chandler (DOB 7/7/92) is charged with strangling Carey Bush to death in his home, then stealing his cell phone and vehicle before fleeing the scene along with an un-identified accomplice known only by the less than common nickname “Slizzy”. The offense occurred November 5, 2013. A jury trial is scheduled to begin January 19, 2016, in Division 8. Elizabeth Jones Brown and Critt Cunningham are the prosecutors.