From the Office of the Commonwealth’s Attorney. Please see our Media Releases page at louisvilleprosecutor.com/media-releases for more details and archives.
OFFICE OF THE COMMONWEALTH’S ATTORNEY
COMMONWEALTH OF KENTUCKY
30th JUDICIAL CIRCUIT
THOMAS B. WINE, COMMONWEALTH’S ATTORNEY
Weekly Media Release: December 14 – December 18, 2015
Attention: Assignment Editor
Director of Communications: Jeff Cooke
Office: (502) 595-2340 Ext. 3027
Cell / Text: (502) 262-5809
NOTE: These represent only a few of the many cases which the Office of Jefferson County Commonwealth’s Attorney is handling. If you have any comments, or need further information concerning these or any other matters please do not hesitate to call. An indictment is only an accusation. A defendant is presumed innocent until or unless found guilty. The enclosed court actions are subject to change.
According to the Rules of Criminal Procedure (RCr 3.02, 3.05, and 8.01), the arraignment of individuals whose case has been submitted directly to the grand jury shall take place within a reasonable time after the return of an indictment. If you are interested in a case that has been submitted directly to the grand jury, then please contact the court division in which it has been assigned to obtain the time and date of the arraignment.
Anthony Kessinger, Antonio Wilson, Ernest Cockerell, Roberta Smothers, Terry M. Tidwell, Jenny Cockerell, Edward Lachalmelle, Steven Cockerell, Brittany Baird, Billy Williams, Robert Smothers, Eddie Maddox, Stephanie Cockerell- 15CR3225 (Criminal Syndication: Engaging in Organized Crime, Trafficking Offenses [Various])
- On November 12, 2015, Detectives completed a long-term narcotics investigation and used SWAT Team to enter 2920 Bank St. Search of residence found a large bag of suspect crystal meth, a large bag of suspect heroin, bag of marijuana, scales, baggies, drug ledgers, needles, phones, a large amount of money in small bills and a loaded handgun. The case will be arraigned on Monday, December 14, 2015 at 3:00 in Division 12 of the Jefferson County Circuit Court. Andrew Beckman is the prosecutor.
James Morris- 15CR0411 (Murder, Criminal Attempt Murder)
- James Morris (DOB 10/21/98) is charged with Murder and Criminal Attempt Murder in connection with the Murder of Shavon Ross a 16 year old female and Attempted Murder of Keijuan Scott on November 29, 2014 at 657 S. 24th A pre-trial conference is scheduled for Thursday, December 17, 2015 at 9:00 in Division One of Jefferson Circuit Court. Shelly Alvey is the prosecutor.
Kevon Taylor- 15CR2435 (Assault I [Three counts], Assault II [Five Counts])
- Mr. Taylor (DOB 1/1/89) is charged with the July 19, 2015, shooting at Cole’s Place at 29th and Kentucky Streets. Eight people were struck, including a pregnant woman and her unborn baby who was delivered immediately thereafter. A pretrial conference is scheduled for Wednesday, December 16 at 9:15 in Division 10. Elizabeth Jones Brown is the prosecutor.
Jessie Smith- 14CR2942 (Murder, Robbery I, and PFO I)
- Defendant Smith (DOB 04/03/87) is charged with Murder, Robbery I, and Persistent Felony Offender in the First Degree in connection with the shooting death of Terron Johnson which occurred on October 28, 2014. A pre-trial conference is scheduled for December 17, 2015 at 9:30 a.m. in Division 2. Shelly Alvey is the prosecutor.
Robert A. Taylor- 15CR2649 (TICS in the 1st Degree While in Possession of a Firearm (3 counts), TICS in the 2nd Degree While in Possession of A Firearm, TICS in the 3rd Degree While in Possession of a Firearm, Possession of A Handgun by A Convicted Felon, Receiving Stolen Property Firearm, and Persistent Felony Offender in the First Degree)
- Defendant Taylor (DOB 5/22/81) is charged in connection with the above referenced charges as a result of an investigation conducted by the Mobile 9th The Defendant allegedly had in his possession large quantities of heroin, methamphetamine, and prescription pills. Also, in Defendant Taylor’s possession was a .45 caliber semi-automatic handgun and a 9 mm semi-automatic handgun. A pre-trial conference is scheduled for Friday, December 18, 2015 at 10:00 a.m. in Division 9 of the Jefferson Circuit Court. Shelly Alvey is the prosecutor.
John McLeaney- 15CR3211 (Robbery in the First Degree [ Two Counts], Kidnapping, Burglary in the First Degree, Impersonating a Peace Officer, Sexual Abuse in the First Degree, Unlawful Imprisonment in the First Degree, Intimidating a Participant in the Legal Process, Tampering With Physical Evidence, and Wanton Endangerment in the First Degree)
- Mr. McLeaney (DOB 10/11/69) has been indicted for offenses occurring on November 9, 2015, and November 28, 2015. Arraignment has already occurred. A pretrial conference is scheduled for January 26, 2016 at 9:45 a.m. in Division 10. Kristi Gray is the prosecutor.
Linda Lee- 14CR1628 (Arson I [Twenty-Five Counts], Arson II [Five Counts], Arson III, Wanton Endangerment I [Eighteen counts])
- Ms. Lee was charged in connection with 43 separate fires that were set between the dates of December 17, 2012 and June 16, 2014. On August 13, 2015, after entering a guilty plea, Ms. Lee received a sentence of 20 years. A shock hearing is scheduled for Wednesday, December 16, 2015 at 11:00 am in Division 13. Cortney Hardin is the prosecutor.
Jurmaine Henderson- 15CR0936 (Murder, Failure to Stop and Render Aid/Assistance, Wanton Endangerment in the First Degree [Three counts], Operating a Motor Vehicle Without an Operator’s License, Failure to Produce Insurance Card, Operating a Motor Vehicle Under the Influence of Intoxicants- First offense [Aggravated Circumstances], Improper Turn, and Failure to Secure Child in Child Restraint Device [Two Counts])
- Mr. Henderson (DOB 7/3/79) is charged in connection with the March 21, 2015, collision in the 3900 block of Seventh Street Road that resulted in the death of Mr. James Walker, III and risk of death or serious physical to three other people, including two children. A hearing on various motions is scheduled for Wednesday, December 16, at 3:00 p.m. in Division 10 of the Jefferson Circuit Court. Mrs. Jennifer Murzyn Yancey is the prosecutor.
Brian Edmonds- 12CR0097 (Murder [Two Counts], Tampering with Physical Evidence)
- Mr. Edmonds (DOB 8/5/93) is facing a capital murder trial for the double homicide of Curtis Smith and Deshone Henry. The shootings occurred on December 10, 2011 near the 1500 block of Beech Street. Both victims were transported to U of L Hospital where both victims were pronounced deceased. The trial, which began last week with individual jury selection, is expected to be on-going in Division 5 of the Jefferson County Circuit Court, through-out the week. Frank Dahl and Josh Porter are the Prosecutors.
Andre Banks- 14CR3053 (Assault in the First Degree, Wanton Endangerment in the First Degree, Unlawful Possession of a Weapon on School Property, Tampering with Physical Evidence, Possession of a Handgun by a Minor, and Carrying a Concealed Deadly Weapon)
- Previously, on March 20, 2015, Mr. Banks (DOB 12/16/97) entered a guilty plea to the above listed charges for bringing a handgun into Fern Creek High School on September 30, 2014, and shooting another student. Judge McDonald-Burkman sentenced the defendant to eighteen years in the custody of the Department of Juvenile Justice. Mr. Banks will return to Division 9 on December 17, 2015, for his 18th birthday re-sentencing, when he presumably will ask for probation. The Commonwealth will object to probation. Elizabeth Jones Brown is the prosecutor.