From the Office of the Commonwealth’s Attorney.
NOTE: We are releasing two weeks of media releases today. Please see our Media Releases page at louisvilleprosecutor.com/media-releases for more details and archives.
OFFICE OF THE COMMONWEALTH’S ATTORNEY
COMMONWEALTH OF KENTUCKY
30th JUDICIAL CIRCUIT
THOMAS B. WINE, COMMONWEALTH’S ATTORNEY
Weekly Media Release: September 7 – September 11, 2015
Attention: Assignment Editor
Prepared By: David A. Erhart, Assistant Commonwealth’s Attorney
Director of Communications: Jeff Cooke
Office: (502) 595-2340 Ext. 3027
Cell / Text: (502) 262-5809
NOTE: These represent only a few of the many cases which the Office of Jefferson County Commonwealth’s Attorney is handling. If you have any comments, or need further information concerning these or any other matters please do not hesitate to call. An indictment is only an accusation. A defendant is presumed innocent until or unless found guilty. The enclosed court actions are subject to change.
According to the Rules of Criminal Procedure (RCr 3.02, 3.05, and 8.01), the arraignment of individuals whose case has been submitted directly to the grand jury shall take place within a reasonable time after the return of an indictment. If you are interested in a case that has been submitted directly to the grand jury, then please contact the court division in which it has been assigned to obtain the time and date of the arraignment.
Kalief A. Cummings, 15CR2303 (Assault in the First Degree [Two Counts])
- Mr. Cummings (DOB 12/11/69) is charged with stabbing two sisters who were in town for a bachelorette party. The incident occurred on August 23, 2015, near Second and Liberty Street. Mr. Cummings was arraigned today and his bond was maintained at $75,000. A pretrial conference has been scheduled for October 1, 2015, at 9:00 a.m. in Division Thirteen of the Jefferson Circuit Court. Ms. Elizabeth Jones Brown is the prosecutor.NOTE: We erroneously reported that this case was assigned to Division Three of Jefferson Circuit Court in our September 2, 2015 media release.
Frederick Lamont Sheckles, 15CR2308 (Robbery in the First Degree, Sodomy in the First Degree, Criminal Attempt Murder, Assault in the First Degree, Burglary in the First Degree, Criminal Attempt Rape in the First Degree, Criminal Attempt Sodomy in the First Degree, Possession of a Handgun By Convicted Felon, Unlawful Imprisonment in the First Degree, Stalking in the First Degree, and Tampering with Physical Evidence)
- Mr. Sheckles (DOB 11/28/94) is charged with two separate sexual assaults, one occurring on August 3, 2015, in the 1300 block of Payne Street and the second occurring on August 27, 2015, in the 11oo block of East Broadway. Mr. Sheckles was arraigned on Thursday, September 3, 2015, in Division Thirteen of Jefferson Circuit Court where his bond was set at $1,000,000. A pretrial conference is scheduled for Tuesday, October 13, 2015, at 9:00 a.m. Ms. Courtney Hardin is the prosecutor.
Alvino Dwight Cornelius and Tamara Sherley, 15CR2298 (Complicity to Robbery in the First Degree [Both] and Wanton Endangerment in the First Degree [Cornelius – Three Counts])
- Ms. Sherley (DOB 5/10/76) and Mr. Cornelius (11/2/94) are charged for entering an apartment window and demanding money from the occupants at gunpoint. It is further alleged that Mr. Cornelius fired three shots into a room where the residents were seeking safety. Arraignment is scheduled for Tuesday, September 8, at 3:00 in Division Twelve of the Jefferson Circuit Court. Mr. Critt Cunningham is the prosecutor.
Roscoe C. Smith, 15CR2292 (Criminal Attempt to Commit Murder, Convicted Felon in Possession of a Handgun, and Wanton Endangerment in the First Degree [two counts])
- Mr. Smith (DOB 10/8/49) is charged for his aiming a gun at Mr. Edward Johnson and taking two shots at him, in an attempt to kill him, while he was standing next to Melissa Rader. Mr. Smith as a convicted felon is not permitted to possess firearms. Arraignment is scheduled for Tuesday, September 8, at 3:00 in Division Twelve of the Jefferson Circuit Court. Mr. Alex Gaddis is the prosecutor.
Roy Thompson, 15CR0288 (Murder, Assault in the First Degree [3 counts], Wanton Endangerment in the First Degree [3 counts], Criminal Mischief in the First Degree, Operating a Motor Vehicle on Revoked/Suspended Operator’s License, No Motor Vehicle Insurance, Operating a Motor Vehicle Under the Influence of Intoxicants- Second offense, and Persistent Felony Offender in the Second Degree)
- Mr. Thompson (DOB 5/4/87) is charged in connection with the January 18, 2015, collision on Dixie Highway that resulted in the death of Ms. Shelley Hurt and serious physical injuries to three other victims. A pretrial conference is scheduled for Wednesday, September 9, at 9:30 a.m. in Division Eleven of the Jefferson Circuit Court. Mrs. Jennifer Murzyn Yancey is the prosecutor.
Orlando Gilmore, 14CR2550 (Murder, Retaliating Against a Participant in the Legal Process, Possession of a Handgun by a Convicted Felon, and Persistent Felony Offender in the Second Degree)
- Mr. Gilmore (DOB 1/19/1987) is charged with the July 27, 2013, shooting death of Mr. Gregory Sawyers. At the time, Mr. Sawyers was a key witness scheduled to testify in a federal murder case against Mr. Ricky Kelly and Mr. Dion Neal. A trial is ongoing in Division Three of the Jefferson Circuit Court. Ms. Elizabeth Jones Brown and Ms. Shelly Alvey are the prosecutors.
Kevin Michael Boyd and Thomas Edward Davidson, 13CR3242 (Complicity to Robbery In the First Degree [31 counts], Possession of a Handgun By a Convicted Felon [1 count for each], and Persistent Felony Offender In the First Degree [1 count for each].
- Messrs. Boyd (DOB 3/12/74) and Davidson (DOB 12/11/67) are charged with the string of fifteen (15) restaurant robberies that occurred between October 23, 2013 and December 2, 2013 in the Louisville area. They were arrested after being caught in the act of robbing at gunpoint the employees of the Denny’s Restaurant located at 4030 Dutchman’s Lane on December 2, 2013. Trial is scheduled to begin Tuesday, September 8, 2015 at 10:00 a.m. in Division One of the Jefferson Circuit Court. Ms. Stacy Greive, Mr. David Erhart, and Mr. Josh Waldrop are the prosecutors.
Joseph Johnson, 12CR3368 and 12CR3772 (Manslaughter in the Second Degree, Trafficking in a Controlled Substance, Fleeing and Fleeing and Evading Police in the First Degree, Possession of a Handgun by Convicted Felon, and Possession of a Firearm by Convicted Felon)
- Mr. Johnson (DOB 2/21/49) entered a plea on July 6, 2015, to Manslaughter in the Second Degree, Trafficking in Controlled Substance, Fleeing and Evading Police in the First Degree, Possession of a Handgun by Convicted Felon, Possession of a Firearm by Convicted Felon, and other charges. The recommended sentence is 30 years. On October 23, 2012, Mr. Johnson was the subject of a narcotics investigation and fled from police in his vehicle. While fleeing, he struck and killed Stephanie Melson. Cocaine was discovered in his vehicle, and drugs and weapons were also recovered during a search of his residence. Sentencing is scheduled for Tuesday, September 10, 2015, at 10:15 in Division Eleven of the Jefferson Circuit Court. Ms. Kristi Gray is the prosecutor.