From the Office of the Commonwealth’s Attorney. Please see our Media Releases page at louisvilleprosecutor.com/media-releases for more details and archives.
OFFICE OF THE COMMONWEALTH’S ATTORNEY
COMMONWEALTH OF KENTUCKY
30th JUDICIAL CIRCUIT
THOMAS B. WINE, COMMONWEALTH’S ATTORNEY
Weekly Media Release: September 14 – September 18, 2015
Attention: Assignment Editor
Prepared By: David A. Erhart, Assistant Commonwealth’s Attorney
Director of Communications: Jeff Cooke
Office: (502) 595-2340 Ext. 3027
Cell / Text: (502) 262-5809
NOTE: These represent only a few of the many cases which the Office of Jefferson County Commonwealth’s Attorney is handling. If you have any comments, or need further information concerning these or any other matters please do not hesitate to call. An indictment is only an accusation. A defendant is presumed innocent until or unless found guilty. The enclosed court actions are subject to change.
According to the Rules of Criminal Procedure (RCr 3.02, 3.05, and 8.01), the arraignment of individuals whose case has been submitted directly to the grand jury shall take place within a reasonable time after the return of an indictment. If you are interested in a case that has been submitted directly to the grand jury, then please contact the court division in which it has been assigned to obtain the time and date of the arraignment.
Cornelius Miller, 15CR2387 (Rape in the First Degree [two counts] and Persistent Felony Offender in the First Degree)
- Mr. Miller (DOB 4/8/59) has been indicted for two sexual assaults that occurred on August 21, 2015 at Louisville Memorial Gardens Cemetery and on September 1, 2015 at Bethany Lane Cemetery. Arraignment has already occurred. A pretrial conference is scheduled for October 14, 2015, at 9:45 in Division 5 of the Jefferson Circuit Court. Ms. Kristi Gray is the prosecutor.
Christopher Winstead, 15CR2364 (Murder and Kidnapping)
- Mr. Winstead (DOB 09/17/94) is charged with Murder and Kidnapping. These charges arise from the abduction and killing of Mr. Fredrick Baker which occurred on Wednesday July 8, 2015. Mr. Winstead was arraigned on September 10, 2015 in Division One of the Jefferson Circuit Court. A pretrial conference is scheduled for December 1, 2015. Mr. Ebert Haegele is the prosecutor.
Sherese Lanee Banks, 15CR2375 (Willfully Prepared False Individual Income Tax Returns)
- Ms. Banks (DOB 7/3/75) is charged with 16 counts of willfully preparing false individual income tax returns. Ms. Banks allegedly prepared state tax returns for individuals and would submit them to the state. However, they were submitted with fraudulent information on them resulting in a larger return to the individuals than they were entitled to. The individuals were unaware that this fraudulent information was on their tax returns. Arraignment is scheduled for Monday, September 14, at 2:30 p.m. in Division Eleven of the Jefferson Circuit Court. Mr. Ryan W. Becker is the prosecutor.
James R. Vinson, 15CR2367 (Arson in the First Degree and Wanton Endangerment in the First Degree [three counts])
- Mr. Banks (DOB 2/17/82) is charged in connection with an intentionally set fire that occurred on August 30, 2015 at 4100 South Brook Street. The home was occupied by three residents at the time, including two disabled adults. Arraignment is scheduled for Monday, September 14, at 3:00 p.m. in Division Twelve of the Jefferson Circuit Court. Ms. Erin McKenzie is the prosecutor.
Wayne L. Duke 15CR1067 (Murder and Tampering with Physical Evidence)
- Mr. Wayne L. Duke (DOB 8/30/57) has been indicted for shooting death of Mr. Jonny L. Buckley III. Mr. Duke is alleged to have shot Mr. Buckley in the leg with a shotgun on April 9, 2015. Mr. Buckley succumbed to his injuries the next day. A pretrial conference is scheduled for Thursday, September 17, 2015, at 9:45 a.m. in Division Four of the Jefferson Circuit Court. Mr. Alex Gaddis is the prosecutor.
Scotty R. Johnson and Paul A. Sims 15CR1967 (Theft by Unlawful Taking Over $500)
- Messers. Scotty R. Johnson (DOB 12/14/94) and Paul A. Sims (DOB 8/11/91) are charged with the May 12, 2015, theft of two pet dogs. The dogs and the electronic collars they were wearing were valued in excess of $1,000.00. A pretrial conference is scheduled for Thursday, September 17, 2015, at 9:45 a.m. in Division Five of Jefferson Circuit Court. Mr. Alex Gaddis is the prosecutor.
Kevin Michael Boyd and Thomas Edward Davidson, 13CR3242 (Complicity to Robbery In the First Degree [31 counts], Possession of a Handgun By a Convicted Felon [1 count for each], and Persistent Felony Offender In the First Degree [1 count for each].
- Messrs. Boyd (DOB 3/12/74) and Davidson (DOB 12/11/67) are charged with the string of fifteen (15) restaurant robberies that occurred between October 23, 2013 and December 2, 2013 in the Louisville area. They were arrested after being caught in the act of robbing at gunpoint the employees of the Denny’s Restaurant located at 4030 Dutchman’s Lane on December 2, 2013. Trial is scheduled to begin Tuesday, September 15, 2015 at 9:00 a.m. in Division One of the Jefferson Circuit Court. Ms. Stacy Greive, Mr. David Erhart, and Mr. Josh Waldrop are the prosecutors.