From the Office of the Commonwealth’s Attorney. Please see our Media Releases page at louisvilleprosecutor.com/media-releases for more details and archives.
OFFICE OF THE COMMONWEALTH’S ATTORNEY
COMMONWEALTH OF KENTUCKY
30th JUDICIAL CIRCUIT
THOMAS B. WINE, COMMONWEALTH’S ATTORNEY
Weekly Media Release: July 13 – July 17, 2015
Attention: Assignment Editor
Director of Communications: Jeff Cooke
Office: (502) 595-2340 Ext. 3027
Cell / Text: (502) 262-5809
NOTE: These represent only a few of the many cases which the Office of Jefferson County Commonwealth’s Attorney is handling. If you have any comments, or need further information concerning these or any other matters please do not hesitate to call. An indictment is only an accusation. A defendant is presumed innocent until or unless found guilty. The enclosed court actions are subject to change.
According to the Rules of Criminal Procedure (RCr 3.02, 3.05, and 8.01), the arraignment of individuals whose case has been submitted directly to the grand jury shall take place within a reasonable time after the return of an indictment. If you are interested in a case that has been submitted directly to the grand jury, then please contact the court division in which it has been assigned to obtain the time and date of the arraignment.
Robert Wayne Poppe, John Zachery and Heather Zachery, 15CR1847 (Burglary In the Third Degree [twenty counts against Poppe; fourteen counts against John Zachery; four counts against Heather Zachery] and Persistent Felony Offender in the First Degree [only as to Robert Wayne Poppe])
- Messrs. Poppe (DOB 1/19/66) and Zachery (DOB 8/4/73), along with Ms. Zachery (9/10/85) are charged in connection with a series of recent burglaries and thefts from local businesses such as Subway, Party City and Feeder’s Supply. These burglaries occurred mainly along Dixie Highway between May 19, 2015 and July 2, 2015. Arraignment is scheduled to occur Monday, July 20, 2015, at 8:30 a.m. in Division One of the Jefferson Circuit Court. Ms. Stacy Greive is the prosecutor.
Patrick Griffith,12CR2032, 12CR0006 (Murder, Tampering with Physical Evidence, and Wanton Endangerment in the First Degree [two counts])
- Messrs. Griffith (DOB 7/4/94) and Tyrone Mack (DOB 08/06/1993) are charged with the November 13, 2011, shooting where they allegedly fired shots into a car occupied by Mr. Stephen Bowan and two other individuals. Mr. Bowan died as a result of a gunshot wound to the back of his head. Mr. Griffith is out of custody on a $150,000 property bond. A bond hearing has been scheduled for Monday, July 13, 2015, at 11:00 a.m. in Division Eleven of the Jefferson Circuit Court. The Commonwealth has filed a motion to increase Mr. Griffith’s bond alleging that he has violated the terms of his bond, for the second time in the past six months, by testing positive for Benzodiazepines on June 15, 2015. It is further alleged, that Mr. Griffith has failed to provide proof of continued employment and answer curfew calls during the evenings when he is not supposed to be working. Mr. Mack’s case was previously severed and he will be tried separately. Mr. Nick Mudd and Ms. Cortney Hardin are the prosecutors.
Michael Vernon Hayes, 13CR2996 (Murder, Robbery in the First Degree, and Tampering with Physical Evidence)
- Mr. Vernon (DOB 12/31/80) is charged with the Robbery and Murder of Mr. Javon Dawson on November 3, 2013. The Commonwealth has filed aggravators to seek the death penalty. A pretrial conference is scheduled for Thursday, July 16, 2015, at 8:30 a.m. in Division Three of the Jefferson Circuit Court. Mr. Nick Mudd is the prosecutor.
Kevin Franklin, 14CR1318 (Murder, Possession of a Handgun by a Convicted Felon, and Tampering With Physical Evidence)
- Mr. Franklin (DOB 7/31/91) is charged with the murder of Mr. Nicholas Baker. It is alleged that on March 10, 2014, Mr. Franklin approached Mr. Baker, and shot and killed him with a handgun. Mr. Franklin then fled the scene of the crime and hid the weapon to prevent its recovery. A pretrial conference is scheduled for Thursday, July 16, 2015, at 9:45 a.m. in Division Thirteen of the Jefferson Circuit Court. Mr. Nick Mudd is the prosecutor.
Jurmaine Henderson, 15CR0936 (Murder, Failure to Stop and Render Aid/Assistance, Wanton Endangerment in the First Degree [3 counts], Operating a Motor Vehicle Without an Operator’s License, Failure to Produce Insurance Card, Operating a Motor Vehicle Under the Influence of Intoxicants- First offense [Aggravated Circumstances], Improper Turn, and Failure to Secure Child in Child Restraint Device [2 counts])
- Mr. Henderson (DOB 7/3/79) is charged in connection with the March 21, 2015, collision in the 3900 block of 7th Street Road that resulted in the death of James Walker, III and risk of death or serious physical to three other people, including two children. A pretrial conference is scheduled for Monday, July 13, at 9:30 a.m. in Division Ten of the Jefferson Circuit Court. Ms. Jennifer Murzyn is the prosecutor.
Shawn Coogle, 15CR1564 (Murder, Assault in the First Degree [3 counts], Wanton Endangerment in the First Degree [3 counts], Criminal Mischief in the First Degree)
- Mr. Coogle (DOB 9/15/82) is charged in connection with the May 17, 2014, collision on Terry Road that resulted in the death of seven-year old Ella Ralph and serious physical injuries to three other victims. A bond hearing is scheduled for Monday, July 13, at 9:30 a.m. in Division Six of the Jefferson Circuit Court. Ms. Jennifer Murzyn is the prosecutor.
Scott Quisenberry, 13CR2226/14CR1614 (Rape in the Second Degree, Rape in the Third Degree [2 counts], and Sodomy in the Second Degree [4 counts])
- Mr. Quisenberry (DOB 10/4/58) is charged with the above listed offenses due to his relationship with one of his former students from the time she was twelve years old until she was fifteen years old. A trial is ongoing in Division Seven of Jefferson Circuit Court. Ms. Alicia Gomez and Mr. Mark Miller are the prosecutors.
Gilbert Renfro, 14CR1285 (Burglary in the Third Degree, Persistent Felony Offender in the Second Degree)
- Mr. Renfro (DOB 3/3/80) is charged with breaking into a garage located at 6620 Dutschke Road, on August 23, 2013. A trial is tentatively scheduled for July 15, 2015, at 10:30 a.m. in Division Three of the Jefferson Circuit Court. Jennifer Murzyn is the prosecutor.
Dayarick Devon Booker, 13CR3130 (Robbery in the First Degree)
- Mr. Booker (DOB 4/25/97) was convicted at trial of the October 29, 2012, robbery of Ms. Tera Lindsey, which culminated in another suspect shooting and killing Ms. Lindsey’s companion Ms. Cynthia Johnson. The jury recommended a penalty of twelve years. Formal sentencing is scheduled for Friday, July 17, 2015, at 9:45 a.m. in Division Eleven of the Jefferson Circuit Court. Ms. Elizabeth Jones Brown is the prosecutor.