From the Office of the Commonwealth’s Attorney. Please see our Media Releases page at louisvilleprosecutor.com/media-releases for more details and archives.
OFFICE OF THE COMMONWEALTH’S ATTORNEY
COMMONWEALTH OF KENTUCKY
30th JUDICIAL CIRCUIT
THOMAS B. WINE, COMMONWEALTH’S ATTORNEY
Weekly Media Release: May 4 – May 8, 2015
Attention: Assignment Editor
Prepared By: David A. Erhart, Assistant Commonwealth’s Attorney
Director of Communications: Jeff Cooke
Office: (502) 595-2340 Ext. 3027
Cell / Text: (502) 262-5809
NOTE: These represent only a few of the many cases which the Office of Jefferson County Commonwealth’s Attorney is handling. If you have any comments, or need further information concerning these or any other matters please do not hesitate to call. An indictment is only an accusation. A defendant is presumed innocent until or unless found guilty. The enclosed court actions are subject to change.
According to the Rules of Criminal Procedure (RCr 3.02, 3.05, and 8.01), the arraignment of individuals whose case has been submitted directly to the grand jury shall take place within a reasonable time after the return of an indictment. If you are interested in a case that has been submitted directly to the grand jury, then please contact the court division in which it has been assigned to obtain the time and date of the arraignment.
Devante Watts, 15CR1193 (Rape in the First Degree, Sodomy in the First Degree, Robbery in the First Degree [two counts], Burglary in the First Degree [two counts], and Possession of Controlled Substance in the First Degree)
- Watts (DOB 8/20/95) has been indicted for two separate burglaries that occurred on April 20, 2015, in the 4600 block of West Market Street. Mr. Watts is further charged with robbery, rape and sodomy in connection with acts committed against the residents at those locations. Arraignment is scheduled for May 4, 2015 at 11:00 a.m. in Division Six. Ms. Kristi Gray is the prosecutor.
Cleveland Askew Jr., 15CR1175 (Wanton Endangerment in the First Degree [two counts], Possession of a Controlled Substance in the First Degree, Possession of a Controlled Substance in the Second Degree, Illegal Use or Possession of Drug Paraphernalia, and Possession of Marijuana.
- Askew (DOB 4/17/1979) has been indicted for pointing a loaded handgun at two Kentucky State Police troopers during the service of a warrant on February 9, 2015. Subsequently, a search warrant was obtained for Mr. Askew’s residence which resulted in police locating drug paraphernalia and narcotics. Arraignment is scheduled for May 4, 2015, at 2:00 p.m. in Division Ten. Ms. Molly Cassady is the prosecutor.
Tyrone Mack, 12CR0006, 12CR2032 (Murder, Tampering with Physical Evidence, Wanton Engenderment in the First Degree [2 counts])
- Mr. Mack (DOB 8/6/1993) and Mr. Patrick Griffith (DOB 7/4/1994) are charged with the November 13, 2011, shooting death of Mr. Stephen Bowan. On that date, Mr. Mack and Mr. Griffith are alleged to have fired shots into the vehicle occupied by Mr. Bowan and two other individuals. An evidentiary hearing is scheduled for Wednesday, May 6, 2015, at 2:00 p.m. in Division Eleven. Mr. Nick Mudd is the prosecutor.
Michael Vernon Hayes, 13CR2996 (Murder, Robbery 1st Degree, Tampering with Physical Evidence)
- Vernon (DOB 12/31/1980) is charged with the Robbery and Murder of Javon Dawson on November 3, 2013. A pretrial conference is scheduled for Thursday, May 7, 2015, at 8:45 in Division Three. Mr. Nick Mudd is the prosecutor.
Herbert Lee, III, 14CR0410 (Receiving Stolen Property over $500, Resisting Arrest [two counts], Criminal Attempt to Commit Escape in the Second Degree, Criminal Mischief in the Second and Third Degree, Fleeing and Evading Police in the Second Degree, Possession of Marijuana, Operation of a Vehicle with a Revoked License, and Persistent Felony Offender in the Second Degree)
- Lee (DOB 4/2/92) entered a guilty plea on October 6, 2014, to Receiving Stolen Property over $500, Resisting Arrest (two counts), Criminal Attempt to Commit Escape in the Second Degree, Criminal Mischief in the Second and Third Degree, Fleeing and Evading Police in the Second Degree, Possession of Marijuana, Operation of a Vehicle with a Revoked License, and Persistent Felony Offender in the Second Degree. He was sentenced to a term of ten (10) years. These charges arose from offenses that occurred on February 3, 2014, when Mr. Lee was observed driving a stolen car, and his attempts to avoid arrest that followed. Mr. Lee has filed a motion requesting shock probation. This matter is scheduled for a hearing on May 4, 2015 at 9:00 a.m. in Division Twelve. Ms. Kristi Gray is the prosecutor.
Kevin Franklin, 14CR1318 (Murder, Possession of a Handgun by a Convicted Felon, and Tampering With Physical Evidence)
- Franklin (DOB 7/31/1991) is charged for the March 10, 2014, shooting death of Nicholas Baker. Mr. Franklin is alleged to have shot Mr. Baker at the parking lot located at 12400 Parkfield Road. A pretrial conference is scheduled for Thursday, May 7, 2015, at 9:30 in Division Thirteen. Mr. Nick Mudd is the prosecutor.
Hack, Jennifer and Bryan, Darrell, 12CR3497 and 14CR2741 (Murder (Bryan), Facilitation to Murder (Hack), Robbery in the First Degree (Bryan), Facilitation to Robbery in the First Degree (Hack), Complicity to Theft By Unlawful Taking Over $500 (Both), and Complicity to Tampering with Physical Evidence (Both))
- Hack (DOB 8/7/1984) and Mr. Bryan (DOB 3/18/1979) are charged with the October 13, 2012, robbery and murder of Mr. Mickel Kimbley on the 2500 block of West Main Street. It is also alleged that Ms. Hack and Mr. Bryan returned to the scene of the crime, stole Mr. Kimbley’s car, and sold it to a tow truck driver. The trial is ongoing with closing arguments scheduled for Monday, May 4, 2015, at 8:30 a.m. in Division Eight. Mr. Nick Mudd and Ms. Cortney Hardin are the prosecutors.
Dayarick Devon Booker, 13CR3130 (Murder, Robbery in the First Degree [two counts])
- Booker (DOB 4/25/97) is charged with involvement in the October 29, 2012, robbery and shooting death of Ms. Cynthia Johnson on West Broadway near Lindell Avenue. A trial is scheduled May 5, 2015, at 10:00 a.m. in Division Eleven. Ms. Elizabeth Jones Brown is the prosecutor.
James O’Bannon 14CR0776 (Murder, Assault in the First Degree [three counts], Operating a Motor Vehicle Under the Influence — Second Offense, Possession of Marijuana, No Insurance, and Persistent Felony Offender First Degree)
- O’Bannon (DOB 2/18/1963) was indicted for a fatal collision that occurred on March 14, 2014, which resulted in the death of 5-month old Ivani Ingram, and caused serious injuries to other passengers in the vehicle. This matter is scheduled for trial on May 4, 2015 at 9:30 a.m. in Division Eight. Ms. Kristi Gray is the prosecutor.
Robert Peters, 15CR0041 (Sodomy in the First Degree [2 counts]; Incest [1 count]; Criminal Attempt Sodomy in the First Degree [1 count]; Sexual Abuse in the First Degree [2 counts])
- Peters (12/18/1972) pled guilty on April 27, 2015, to two counts of Sodomy I and two counts of Sexual Abuse in the First Degree. Sentencing occurred the same day. Mr. Peters was sentenced to twenty-three years to serve in the Kentucky Department of Corrections. Mr. Nathan Batey is the prosecutor.