The Office of the Commonwealth’s Attorney occupies a critical position in the criminal justice system. Commonly referred to as the District Attorney in most states, the Commonwealth’s Attorney must focus the power of the state on those who defy its laws. As legal representative for the people, the Commonwealth’s Attorney has the duty to seek justice for all.
Our Mission: The Office of the Commonwealth’s Attorney enhances public safety and creates an environment of security in Jefferson County through the vigorous enforcement of criminal laws in a just, honest, compassionate, efficient and ethical manner. The office works with every component of the criminal justice system and the community to protect the innocent, protect the rights of victims and witnesses, and convict and appropriately punish the guilty. While the office vigorously prosecutes violent and habitual offenders, it is also committed to crime prevention by implementing innovative programs to break the cycle of crime for first-time offenders, mentally-ill offenders, and drug addicted offenders.
Our Vision is a criminal justice system in which all parties and participants receive or dispense fair and respectful treatment and the justice that each deserves.
- Ethics, Integrity, and Justice, which guide our actions;
- Professionalism, Teamwork, and Excellence of our prosecutors and support staff;
- Hard Work and Dedication to our Mission;
- Fairness, Diligence, and Respect to all, including victims, witnesses, judges, defense lawyers, defendants, jurors, law enforcement personnel, clerks, court personnel, deputy sheriffs, probation and parole officers, corrections staff, and all others involved in the criminal justice system; and,
- Collaboration and Partnership with other advocates for justice in the system.